The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is all wrapped up in track tape and loaded up for the drive back to Tampa starting tomorrow. Who know you could fit one massively-stuffed-by-the-wife fullsize suitcase, two large duffels and still have room to spare!

We are taking a slightly circuitous route on purpose; up to Las Vegas, then Grand Canyon/Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Tallahassee then Tampa. Trying to see some friends, sightsee and since we have cats and I have back problems this time around, only doing about 5 hours of driving a day on average.

Should be a decent trip!

track tape is definitely difficult on complex curves...I doubled up on the heavy impact areas so it's about 1mm thick there.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh heeeeelll no. Cats are going in the wife's car lol

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Car is all wrapped up in track tape and loaded up for the drive back to Tampa starting tomorrow. Who know you could fit one massively-stuffed-by-the-wife fullsize suitcase, two large duffels and still have room to spare!

We are taking a slightly circuitous route on purpose; up to Las Vegas, then Grand Canyon/Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Tallahassee then Tampa. Trying to see some friends, sightsee and since we have cats and I have back problems this time around, only doing about 5 hours of driving a day on average.

Should be a decent trip!

track tape is definitely difficult on complex curves...I doubled up on the heavy impact areas so it's about 1mm thick there.
Have a good trip back to the east coast, it was nice to meet at the last Sunday of the month car show a while back.
Ron

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sweet color on your ride, you going to LOG? I'd love to see it in person.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately no log too much going on when I first show up, but I'll make it out to as many gatherings in Tampa/Orlando otherwise.

Made it to Vegas-if it weren't for the stupidly packed parking garage at the Venetian I would've averaged 27.5 mpg (my trip computer read 28.5 and is pretty consistently 1 mpg high). Going to check for real use age at each fillip

Track tape is working pretty well. Application is a bitch but it looks ok. Definitely very temperature sensitive-I applied it in 90 degree weather and it has bubbled up and shrank dramatically in some spots. Others began peeling up and gathered dust under it so I'm sure ill need to touch up in a day or two.

Evora otherwise flawless in 100 degree heat!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Are you moving back East?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so 3200 miles and 8 stops later, we are back in Tampa. Car did great, it really is a fabulous long distance cruiser when it wants to be-the suspension is just right even on crappy New Orleans roads. I have to get one last tank of gas to calculate my overall MPG average, and that includes some city and traffic driving so it won't be stellar. I don't think it was quite what I was expecting either..I seem to do great at about 70 mph, and at about 80 mph, but for some reason anywhere 73-78 mph my mileage is only about 25 mpg.

Here are some before and after shots with the Trakk Tape. Overall I am very happy with it and it did it's intended purpose. The curves on the car make it a huge bitch to install, and the aero features means crap gets everywhere if you don't cover it. Learning experience I guess, now I know where I need to cover for next time. I doubled up on the heavy impact areas on the front, and as the first 4 days or so passed I had to touch up at just about every stop with either blue tape or more trakk tape. It took about 90% of a 100 foot roll to make this trip.

It is very temperature sensitive-I applied it in heat but it still bubbled up constantly over the drive. Cuases some interesting effects on the paint as moisture etc effects it, but still protects it and a wash will take care of it. It is very key that you make sure everything is pressed down and I would definitely recommend bringing painters tape, as some of it WILL come up.

Battle Scarred:

Before:

After removing the tape:

Edit-note, my application went as follows: washed car, brought back, spray wax and buff out, apply. Also, I had no issues wiht my vinyl stripes. I did some test spots prior to the trip on trakk tape's recommendation and it was no issue, and when I got here it was no issue.

I now have a nail in my right rear tire, which causes me to lose a slow and steady 1 psi every few days, but holds otherwise. I may have gotten it in CA because I was losing a bit of air there as well the last few weeks. I'll have it plugged while I order new tires since I have pretty much burned through the rears after 9300 miles.

Parts of NM and TX blew, in rural areas I could only get ethanol added 90 octane! I was stoked to get back on 93 octane coming out here. I am going to hopefully be swapping to a Radium CAI soon too as I'm sure the air filter is just about shot.

Everything else went great, really can't say enough about it. I don't have cruise control, and that would've been a nice feature, but seriously comfortable car with plenty of space for two..

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
TrakkTape

Thanks for the update on the TrakkTape. installation gets easier with a little practice. I've found that careful attention to protecting leading edges helps a lot on keeping it in place.

Your car looks great and thanks again for the TrakkTape report.

Support from the Lotus forum got me started on this voyage and this is still my favorite customer group. (I track an Elise.)

trakktape.com

:up:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't speak for the entire car, but I did the front up to the windshield and front of wheel wells, and the lower sills/partial rockers. I doubled up on the front and was a bit anal about wrinkles and I was about 3.5 hours in. If you are just looking for the track day protection it could be a lot less; I was really concerned about it lasting 9 days so I was careful about edges and lifting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts