The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone owned a newer 911 and compared it to your Evora?

Ive read alot about lap times etc, but what about just personal likes dislikes etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I think the Cayman is the more appropriate competitor from Germany. I had an 06 Cayman S and feel the cars have more in common than they do different. Porsche wins in livability, cargo capacity, dealer network, and gearbox. Lotus wins in curb appeal and is more fun on the track. That's enough for me, for now, to prefer the Lotus.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think he may be considering a 991 vs the Evora.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, i was considering a 911 due to the need for 4 seats (small kids).

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 911 has more room in the rear and the kids would see out of the windows better. It's not as nice to drive as the Evora though.

I think the nearest Porsche (in terms of driving feel) is the new Cayman or Boxster. These drive much nicer than the 911 in my opinion and in S trim have good performance too.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I think the Cayman is the more appropriate competitor from Germany. I had an 06 Cayman S and feel the cars have more in common than they do different. Porsche wins in livability, cargo capacity, dealer network, and gearbox. Lotus wins in curb appeal and is more fun on the track. That's enough for me, for now, to prefer the Lotus.
I think the nearest Porsche (in terms of driving feel) is the new Cayman or Boxster. These drive much nicer than the 911 in my opinion and in S trim have good performance too.
I would agree that the Cayman is the closest Porsche competitor to the Evora, but my experience differs from your assessment. The Evora S wins in handling, performance, appearance, reliability, and dealer service. The 981S wins in the gearbox, interior fit and finish, and the ability to put the top down.

To the OP, either the Evora or the 911 is a great car in terms of driving experience. I would take a look at the rear seats in each and see if either car is adequate. Ditto for storage space. And crash testing. And test drive both. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It's been awhile since I've sat in a 911 but in the Evora, if you're over 5'6 or so, you may need to move the driver's seat back to where your child wouldn't have enough leg room.

I frequently take my son who's about 36 inches (I forget exactly how tall he is - but he's 6 years old). He can sit behind the front passenger seat with no problem. Just move the passenger seat up. Since I'm only 5'6, we can also fit behind me no problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would agree that the Cayman is the closest Porsche competitor to the Evora, but my experience differs from your assessment. The Evora S wins in handling, performance, appearance, reliability, and dealer service. The 981S wins in the gearbox, interior fit and finish, and the ability to put the top down.
That doesn't really differ from my assessment, though I was comparing a 987 CaymanS to a NA Evora. Agreed that the Evora out handles the Porsche, or at least feels like it does. I specifically enjoy the way the car interacts with you at/near the limit when compared to the Porsche. I have yet to have a good experience with a Lotus dealer, but that's another story. The Lotus so far hasn't proven a very reliable car, but that's to be expected when there are so few and they are hand made. Like I said initially, to me, the curb appeal and fun factor in the Lotus driving experience make the rest of it worth it to me.

The ownership experience with the 911 is probably actually a more direct comparison (limited storage, four seats, etc.) I won't thread-jack anymore and will let those who've owned the 911s chime in.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Has anyone owned a newer 911 and compared it to your Evora?

Ive read alot about lap times etc, but what about just personal likes dislikes etc?

Thanks
what are you actually looking at for a 911? i have had a few as my sig shows

·
Registered
115 Posts
My neighbor has a hobby of buying 911's, Boxsters, and Caymans, driving them for awhile and then sells them. He just got a 2006 911 Carrera. We had a comparison drive with my 2011 S and his Carrera. In my novice opinion, driving his 911 was nice in regards to handling but it was not the "rush" you get with the Evora. Evora sounds better in my opinion. Since I am 6'5'', getting in and out of the 911 was easier.

The 911 owner driving my Evora was blown away. His liked handling, sound, acceleration, braking and looks. His disliked dealership availability, ergonomics and reliability.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what are you actually looking at for a 911? i have had a few as my sig shows
What do you like better with the Evora?

Or dislike when compared to a 2005-2012 911, S etc.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
You need to just go drive them both. I own a 991S Cab and have driven the Evora extensively (have not owned one). I have owned 10 Loti over the years starting with a 77 Esprit.

The Evora has much better driving dynamics imo. It feels like a sports car all the time but the suspension is surprising in that it is not harsh but the car handles very well. I love driving them and think they are great looking cars. The 991S, in default mode, drives like a Lexus. Very quiet, very good ride, absolutely fantastic driving position, audio, climate control, etc., but it's boring imo. I have to turn on "Sport Plus" and then turn off the "hard" mode with the suspension to get what I want. That gives the car better throttle response, opens up the exhaust (louder) and in that mode if feels like a 911. For country roads, or the track, I put the suspension back in "hard" mode. With the 911 setup like that the cars get pretty similar imo.

The issue for me is that I will not live with the idiosyncrasies of an Evora. I'm referring to the ergonomics of the interior, the audio, the climate control, etc. I use my 911 as a DD in the summer and I'm just to old and ornery to put-up with that stuff. :)

Love, love, love the Evora. It's just that the 911 is a better fit for me until my GT3 arrives in the spring. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my non Porsche Europe view. Porsche is for old men. Normally those who do not know too much about mechanics, or should i say little. Lotus is for those who do not mind getting ones hand dirty.

For me they are both cars, get you from A - B. Just personally again my n=1 view by the time i am old enough to drive one 45 I would probably opt for a chauffeur, so why bother.

But thats a French, swiss view so maybe others feel otherwise

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
my non Porsche Europe view. Porsche is for old men. Normally those who do not know too much about mechanics, or should i say little. Lotus is for those who do not mind getting ones hand dirty.

For me they are both cars, get you from A - B. Just personally again my n=1 view by the time i am old enough to drive one 45 I would probably opt for a chauffeur, so why bother.

But thats a French, swiss view so maybe others feel otherwise
Add German view. Average age of Porsche drivers is only exceeded by Mercedes Diesel. Main advantage of the latter is that it is also available as a funeral transport.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info, I purchased a new 2013 S IPS.

I looked at the porsche it was nicer, more expensive and more polished everywhere, i mean everywhere. It drove nice and you felt great driving it.

After that i went to drive the new vette, walked into the showroom, the car was locked as if it was royalty. As i walked around it and looked inside the interior was VERY COOL!, then i backed up and walked around the car. I started to have visions of that transformer movie, that yellow car that turns into a robot. I backed up, looked back and forth and around the whole car. This yellow vette looked like a giant plastic yellow child's toy with sharp and rounded edges that DID NOT look right or proportioned. Maybe a different color would have looked better but i would not enjoy that car, it wouldn't matter how fast it was etc. I didnt even want to test drive it and didn't.

Now my impression today (when my car was delivered) was all big SMILES. I didn't get "SMILES" with the Porsche, and got a WTF? with the vette. Driving the Evora feels unique or maybe because it is more unique. I pulled up to a cross street and the first car drove by me stopped 50 yards down the street and pulled over to look back and watch the car pull out and drive away. I didn't buy the car to get a reaction, rather i got the same reaction. Is the car well put together? No, it doesn't appear so, its not junk either. Its like Chinese/German? The center armrest needs to be glued on, somebody pulled it to hard (maybe i did?) it seems, things like that might happen from time to time. Its put together a lot like a Polaris razor/a quality ride on lawn mower/bayliner cabin cruiser boat with some very quality looking components. It DRIVES GREAT, Looks UNREAL and does not feel cheap in any way while driving or casual close up. All this weirdness just fits together,i really like this unique car so far.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
idoalman - sorry i didn't get a chance to comment more; anyway, great decision.

the one comment i was meaning to add was that LotusTalk is as good as any of the Porsche forums and in the end was the key factor in my jump to try a Lotus. lots of great input and enthusiasm -

colours - details??????????????????

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Thanks for the info, I purchased a new 2013 S IPS.

I looked at the porsche it was nicer, more expensive and more polished everywhere, i mean everywhere. It drove nice and you felt great driving it.

After that i went to drive the new vette, walked into the showroom, the car was locked as if it was royalty. As i walked around it and looked inside the interior was VERY COOL!, then i backed up and walked around the car. I started to have visions of that transformer movie, that yellow car that turns into a robot. I backed up, looked back and forth and around the whole car. This yellow vette looked like a giant plastic yellow child's toy with sharp and rounded edges that DID NOT look right or proportioned. Maybe a different color would have looked better but i would not enjoy that car, it wouldn't matter how fast it was etc. I didnt even want to test drive it and didn't.

Now my impression today (when my car was delivered) was all big SMILES. I didn't get "SMILES" with the Porsche, and got a WTF? with the vette. Driving the Evora feels unique or maybe because it is more unique. I pulled up to a cross street and the first car drove by me stopped 50 yards down the street and pulled over to look back and watch the car pull out and drive away. I didn't buy the car to get a reaction, rather i got the same reaction. Is the car well put together? No, it doesn't appear so, its not junk either. Its like Chinese/German? The center armrest needs to be glued on, somebody pulled it to hard (maybe i did?) it seems, things like that might happen from time to time. Its put together a lot like a Polaris razor/a quality ride on lawn mower/bayliner cabin cruiser boat with some very quality looking components. It DRIVES GREAT, Looks UNREAL and does not feel cheap in any way while driving or casual close up. All this weirdness just fits together,i really like this unique car so far.
Thanks for posting this up. Reminds my of 7 or so years ago when we took delivery of the Elise just before Christmas. Enjoy!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Although I do not own a 911, I did drive several versions of it as my quest for a new car for myself. I decided to go with the Evora In the end, and 1.5 years later of Lotus ownership, i still feel I made the best decision for my needs. I have had zero mechanical issue with the car, just a very few minor cosmetic warranty issues.

But If you need the back seat for growing kids, and want a sports car for yourself, then perhaps the 911 is the better choice for you. but if this car is for yourself only, then consider the Evora. Some here have made the very small back seat work for them, so at *least bring the family down and do a seat fitting. Like others said, both cars have thier strengths, and I loved driving the 911, the finishes as Lexus feel, and network of dealers is strong, but found it did not give me that "feeling and emotioanl connection" that I wanted and was looking for, only the Evora did this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts