The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing an article on the Elise for my website (Fuel Efficient Autos) and one of the things I'm going to focus on is the Gas Mileage. So I'm trying to compile real world data on this, so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Here's what I'd like to know 1) how aggressively you drive and 2) what is the average mpg you seem to get. The point I want to get across in the article is that it's possible to have supercar performance without using an entire Saudi Oil field with every trip.

Thanks for any help guys and gals.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I think the Elise could earn a badge from the Environmental Groups in the Sports Car category. It's recyclable too!

Mileage varies a great deal and few actually measure it. But for example this last weekend with lots of high speed highway travel between CT and MA the car averaged about 30-31 MPG. Most trips it can be hard to get below the high 20s if you're in 6th gear a lot. Personally I don't track the city and twisty road fun MPG but it's not horrible. Maybe someone keeps better records than I.

Lots of sports cars are doing well to hit 20 MPG for a tank. Just ask the EVO / STI crowd!! I think the EPA's highway MPG for the Elise is way off. The car is rated at 27 MPG and this is easy to exceed. On most cars you basically can never hit the highway MPG figure. This may be due to the car being so out of the ordinary weight wise and so forth for the dyno based test procedures.

Stan

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I get between 27-33 on the street. I have about 2200 street miles on the car.

In my 800 track miles I don't really keep track. I would guess about 8mpg.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Lessgas said:
The point I want to get across in the article is that it's possible to have supercar performance without using an entire Saudi Oil field with every trip.
I wish I had my Elise so I could give you some data. Your statement about supercar performance with fuel efficiency is one of the things that attracted me to the Elise. Good luck with your article.

John

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I only kept track when I first drove the car across the country. Mainly freeway miles and it was around 34mpg.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Miles GALLONS MPG
153 6.4 23.760 Original Delivery/ reg driving
226 8.0 28.024 Hiway varing between 5th & 6th
215 7.4 28.754 In Town varing speeds and rpms
249 8.3 29.721 In Town varing speeds and rpms
237 8.0 29.357 In Town varing speeds and rpms
206 6.5 31.525 Hiway varing between 5th & 6th
218 7.5 29.019 In Town/ Brought car in for serving

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
xxxotic said:
Code:
[B]Miles	GALLONS	  MPG
153	6.4	23.760  Original Delivery/ reg driving
226	8.0	28.024  Hiway varing between 5th & 6th
215	7.4	28.754  In Town varing speeds and rpms
249	8.3	29.721  In Town varing speeds and rpms
237	8.0	29.357  In Town varing speeds and rpms
206	6.5	31.525  Hiway varing between 5th & 6th 
218	7.5	29.019  In Town/ Brought car in for serving
[/B]
.... fixed for easier reading. ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When I drive like a bat out of hell, I suck the tank dry and quickly and STILL get 20MPG. And I mean a full 200 miles of nothing but WOT.

When I took it on the highway, I hit 35MPG!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow the response to my question has been awesome. I knew that the Elise family was close knit but I never expected an outpouring like this. Here's to hoping my business takes off so I can get my own Elise and join everyone on the track. Thanks so much to everybody for helping me out with this.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I usually get a fuel consumption of around 11-12.2ltr/100km (21,35-19,3mpg).
On highways fuel consumption improves significantly to 8.7-9.0ltr/100km (26-27mpg).

On trackdays though, it may go in the vicinity of 13-14ltr/100km (16,8-18,1mpg).

Haven't checked it yet, with the new ReVerie Daytona Induction Kit. Possibly will have a trackday on weekend :)

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
somebody say my name??
actually the evo wasent that bad in stock form, but i care less about gas mileage....well, maybe i care a little, but its the absolute last thing i consider in a car like this....
gas mileage to me would be like if i asked u folks if the elise should have heated seats or something...:)
actually, i was impressed with the evo's stock gas mileage, probably low to low mid 20's.....
the elise of course, a little 4 banger pushing around 2k pounds with a 6 speed does get great gas mileage for what it is....
im working on ways of decreasing that mpg:)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Somebody say my name?? actually the evo wasent that bad in stock form, but i care less about gas mileage....well, maybe i care a little, but its the absolute last thing i consider in a car like this.... gas mileage to me would be like if i asked u folks if the elise should have heated seats or something... actually, i was impressed with the evo's stock gas mileage, probably low to low mid 20's..... the elise of course, a little 4 banger pushing around 2k pounds with a 6 speed does get great gas mileage for what it is.... im working on ways of decreasing that mpg<<<

That's pretty good mileage for an EVO...around here they get comparable mileage to an SUV many claim. Tires and brake pads go fast on the track too. The Elise is fairly economical with consumables besides fuel.

·
Registered
637 Posts
For me, good petrol (gas) mileage is more about increasing the range of the car between stops than about being economical.

My S1 can run about 350 miles between stops when driven carefully... well, it could before I changed cams. I wonder what it does now.

Craigy

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
When I drive aggressively, and I do tend to do that, I get 24-26 MPG. On a trip to Tennessee in August, averaging 90 MPH, I still got 29-30 MPG. If I recall correctly, at 90 MPH I was running between 4000 and 4500 RPM in 6th gear.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Surferjer,

"On a trip to Tennessee in August, averaging 90 MPH..."

You drove from PA to TN and averaged 90 mph? :bow:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Don't have my Elise yet. But, I'm an STi guy. By way of comparison... My STi averages about 19 mpg (combined hwy/city)... most of it hwy. I'm heavy on the throttle, as the car talks to me and begs me to do it! ;) I swear!

For fun, I computed the mileage on the track and it came to 5 mpg! FIVE! That giant sucking sound??? That's my STi sucking gas! ;)

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't know the MPG, but I get about 180 miles per tank. This is driving in the city mainly, and I drive it like I stole it. :)

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
girlracer said:
Don't know the MPG, but I get about 180 miles per tank. This is driving in the city mainly, and I drive it like I stole it. :)
That's closer to what I'm getting, and unless my math is completely off-the-wall, that's roughly 18mpg.

all of my driving is 1-4 ... i rarely get into 5th or 6th, but i'm not always driving it to redline.

this is weird. it sure doesn't sound like i'm getting anywhere near the 25-30mpg that others are getting. i'll have to take a roadtrip in the spring & see what happens when i'm in 5th/6th often.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Don't know the MPG, but I get about 180 miles per tank. This is driving in the city mainly, and I drive it like I stole it. That's closer to what I'm getting, and unless my math is completely off-the-wall, that's roughly 18mpg.<<<

The yellow low-fuel light goes on when there is ~1.6 gallons left in the tank....and the tank is hard to fill up 100%. You are not supposed to "top it off either"..but if you do you can often get an extra gallon in there. This may complicate MPG measurement but can be worked around.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts