The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up from work today, excited for the weekend and all. Top off, sunglasses on, feeling like the king of IL. Get on the highway. Do my usual "feel the power" speed up, and then a police officer coming the opposite way makes a U-turn:eek:. I slow down, and after about 2 miles and 1 stop light, he turns on his flashers and stops me, right next to the entrance to the street leading to our bigger offices!!! I quickly take off the really nice glasses and switch to the crappier sports looking ones.
I usually burst up to around 100 ( on the speedometer), then cool down to whatever i feel like. This time wasn't any different. he comes over to the passenger side:

I look over and take off the glasses, trying to be as cool as possible
Officer: Nice car. Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: I'm not sure
Him: Really?
Me: Yea, I just saw you then slowed down.
Him: No just take a guess
Me: Maybe around 80
Him: no, you were doing 91. Do you know the speed limit here?
Me: 55.
Him: where do you work at, when did you get the car?
Me: <company name>, (then i ask to show him my badge, which he obliges to). I just got it
Him: Can i see your license. (I hand it over. Its an out of state license). How long have you been here?
Me: I just started
he walks back to his car, and does some stuff,while my heart is in my mouth praying I wake up. He walks back.
Him: I am going to let you off with a warning this time. Only because your car is so sweet and I know I would probably do the same thing in your shoes. If the speed limit is 55, do 55.
I shake his hands and he walks back to his car, partially blocks off that lane and signals for me to get in front of him.

I drove under the speed limit all 10 miles back home, highest i went was 65 on the highway, all while grinning ear to ear, thanking God and acting crazy.
Funny enough, even at the speed limit with the top off, it was still an enjoyable ride.
Did he really know my speed or was he just BS-ing?
Anyway, I think that was just the kick in the pants i needed to go buy a radar... err drive slowly :D. Does that usually happen? And do they have a record of warnings?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
V1.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
You got real lucky, especially at your age. Take notice, this was probably your one free pass and I bet monday he will be watching for you.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Next time do remember - The reason they ask "Do you know how fast you were going?" “Do you know what the speed limit is?” is so you pick any number that is higher than the actual speed posted. Once you said 80, you have already admitted to speeding. Never admit your speed. I am not sure, would be your best answer as it is always up to them to prove you were speeding.

Anyway you got real luck. If it was Fairfax County in VA, they would give you "Reckless Driving"

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
If it was Fairfax County in VA, they would give you
Castration AND beheading. ( After all the torture )

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
And at 91mph, if your job required a security clearance, wave it goodbye.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Next time do remember - The reason they ask "Do you know how fast you were going?" “Do you know what the speed limit is?” is so you pick any number that is higher than the actual speed posted. Once you said 80, you have already admitted to speeding. Never admit your speed. I am not sure, would be your best answer as it is always up to them to prove you were speeding.

Anyway you got real luck. If it was Fairfax County in VA, they would give you "Reckless Driving"
Yep.

A totally lame answer I usually give is: "Sorry officer, I had my eyes on the road ahead of me and wasn't looking down at the speedometer when you clocked me"

It's usually true and there is no admittance to guilt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts