The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally needed new tires (got about 8500 miles off of my A048's) and considering that I really only use my car on the street I decided to go with something that would give me a little more street wear.

After much research I decided to go with the Toyo T1R (other choice was the GS-D3 but it was out of stock).

After driving on them all weekend I decided I NEED to go and buy a new set of A048's. The toyo's just changed the whole feel of the car. I lost a ton of road feel as well the obvious cornering ability. The worst part is I now have about an inch of play in my steering wheel...before it was so tight, and now it is sloppy.

The whole reason I bought this car was for the way it could handle and now a big part of that is gone.

Granted, they Toyo's were awesome in the rain and on highway driving, but I do very little of both.

Since I'm in NY I'll keep the Toyo's for when it get's cold out (since R compound cracks in the cold) so it isn't a total loss.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Oh and if you think it is tire pressure, I have 26 front 29 rear as per the instructions on the door jam.

Hopefully someone else won't make the same mistake and be as surprised as me.

THAT BEING SAID: I bought the tires from Joe at the Tire Shoppe (www.tireshoppe.com) and I couldn't have been more pleased with the service. He was patient in helping me decide and then when I made the decision he shipped them same day and they were at my house the next day! Better prices than I've seen else where too! BIG :clap: FOR JOE!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
your best alternative for A048 are Toyo's R888...i honestly thought the T1-R was discontinued???

IMO the R888 is much better than the A048 in all aspects, i highly recommend them, also coming from a guy that drives the car on the street/hwy more than anywhere else

sorry to hear about your experience, hope you get it all sorted out asap

·
Registered
289 Posts
All the guys over here in the UK use them...

Not discontinued as they are more popular than ever.

If you have a flick through some of the UK sites you'll see that T1-Rs are renowned for being total sh!t for the first 1-2k miles. Once they are up and running with a bit of wear they are a great tyre.

R888's prob is your next best thing but then the T1-R is better than all others by a country mile!

(I've had 3 Elises and 1 Exige and ran them on all cars - road and track)

:clap:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well X7LDA that is a bit of a relief, but it is also a double edged sword because I only drive my car on the weekends and it takes a while for me to put 1k miles on my car :(

As for the R888 I know they are preferred over the A048's but truth be told I think the previous owner replaced all but ONE of my A048's so I have 2 fronts and 2 rears all with about 60% tread left so I really only need to buy 2 rears for the car right now.

Otherwise, once these wear down i will def go with the the R888.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You should have given the R1Rs a shot. They're right in between the T1Rs and the 888s. But the 888s are still the better tire to go with.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I believe it is the T1-S that is no' mo'.
gotcha!

That tire pressure seems low. It makes sense for AO48's, because they have much stiffer sidewalls.
i have my r888 set at the OEM pressures as well, where are they suppose to be at?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you have a flick through some of the UK sites you'll see that T1-Rs are renowned for being total sh!t for the first 1-2k miles. Once they are up and running with a bit of wear they are a great tyre.
I think this is true for most street tires. They inject that release compound stuff so that the tire pops out of the mold, and that makes the tires a bit slick for a bit, until that top layer is worn away.

Also, keep in mind that you're going from a bald r-compound with no tread squirm to a thickly treaded street tire... it's not going to be as reflexive as the worn tire in the dry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kind of apples to oranges comparing a street tire to an R compound. The A048 and the R888 are designed for track use, not so good for milage (as in total milage).

The T-1R is a cheap street tire, probably < half the price of our other options.
If you want a good street tire and don't mind paying $$, get the ADVAN AD07 which have a front that will fit on the LSS wheels. Don't know much about the Bridgestone or the Goodyear options, but I like the AD07 just as much as the A048's.

Joe at the Tire Shoppe is a cool guy....sells RA-1's and R888's to spec miata racers by the truckload.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I would have given the R1R's a shot or the AD07's but they are both made from the same soft sticky R-rated compound that their racing brothers (the R888 and the A048's) are made of and as told on the phone by the Toyo customer service rep, they will not only risk cracking in the cold, but they will also be very dangerous as at 50 degrees F they have only about 40% of the traction as they do in 70 degree + weather.

The only difference between the R1R and the R888 is the wet traction handling thanks to the tread design. You have more surface contact with an R888 and the A048, and there is less tread depth (actually less rubber overall) which is why they wear so much quicker.

Trust me, I looked at ALL the options before I made my decision. The following "street" (meaning ZR rated, as opposed to track R rated) tires all come with a cold weather warning from the manufacturer: (This group of tire is also referred to as "Extreme Performance Summer Tire")
- Bridgestone RE-01R
- Hankook S2
- Toyo R1R
- Yoko AD07
- Dunlop Dizzazi (sp?)

There are a few others but this is all I remember from my research.

Basically, you need to go down to a Max Performance summer tire (like the T1-R or the Goodyear F1 GS-D3) to not have the cold weather warning. Subsequently, these tires will still have about 70% of their original traction in 50 degree weather.

The long and the short of it is, if you live in an area like me that gets cold, and you want your car to perform its best (and you don't care about cost), you get two sets of tires, and R compound for the spring/summer/fall and a set of Max Performance tires for the winter.

I literally spent countless hours doing research so if you are looking to get new tires please feel free to PM me because the info is scattered and confusing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Go for Yokohama S Drive if you are looking for a road tyre with good track ability.

Various sizes available but I know for the Exige you need to drop me a 195/50 to a 195/45 as that's the closest size they do!

:coolnana:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Give 'em time. They're very greasy when new, but get better with time.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have the T-1Rs and find them good as a daily driver high miles tire. Good feed back and I know what the tire will do. But if your car is a low mile weekender only car you (in my opinion) should have gotten the Toyo R1R, 888, or RA1s. The T1R is much slower around a corner (and louder) then the Yoko 048s, but will last A LOT longer and do vary good in the rain.

Give the T1Rs a few miles for they seem a bit slick at first, but they can not compare to the all out grip of the 048s. Also the T1Rs will have a bit of tread squirm at full tread depth that a tire like the Yoko 048s and Toyo 888 won’t have. You will feel this quit a lot going from any worn out tire to a new tire with new tall (skinny) tread blocks. As the tire wears-out the feeling will lessen.

Kevin

·
Registered
283 Posts
Give 'em time. They're very greasy when new, but get better with time.
The grip is going to increase in time. But the sidewalls won't get stiffer, and that's what kills this tire. I bought some T1R's last year and I was not happy with them. I went back to AD07s a few weeks later. Waste of time and money. :(

·
Banned
874 Posts
at least this didn't happen....rotfl

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts