The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second day having the car and this happens...

I turn on the car to get some food with a friend. I turn on my headlights and proceed with my drive. I go to use the left turn signal and it's flashing extremely fast. I thought that a light had burnt out causing the turn signal to blink faster. I check all the lights and everything is working. I tried the right turn signal and that's working fine. I turned off my headlights and left turn signal was working as it should. Normal speed. I turn on the headlights again and I does it again! At this point was getting irritated and really hungry so I continued driving. Well About 2 min into the ride the left turn signal worked fine. And it stayed working fine the rest of the drive. I thought, cool it fixed itself. I was wrong. I came back to my car after dinner and it did it again. Turned the car on the headlights on and tried left turn signL. Blinked fast. Too fast. Right turn signal worked good. Turned off the headlights and it was back to normal. Headlights on. Blinks fast. I started driving home. 2 min in, it was back to normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common? Any threat of something in my car burning up(fuses?)? I'm about a 2 hour drive from the nearest lotus dealership. Would not like to make that drive if this is an easy fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...it sounds like one of the bulbs has an intermittently bad contact - possibly a loose connection, possibly corrosion...

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
if you have the LED rear lights, then it's the relay. Happened to me 2 times. Now make it 3, I just replaced the passenger side rear taillight and it started flashing fast. Forget it, I'm not taking it in any more. I'll just wait till the drivers side goes bad and I'll have 2 fast flashers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which relay was it? This car is extremely new to me. Still learning everything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric,
The headlights are inducing a voltage drop. Have it fixed under the warranty.
Michael
I would like to get it fixed under warranty. But like I said earlier. It's a 2 hour drive to the dealer. Would much rather get it fixed at my house if it's a simple fix. I work on electronics on helicopters so fixing this shouldn't be hard. Just need to know where to start.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I would probably start by testing the resistance of the rear LED's that work, and then compare it against the side that does not operate correctly. Also make sure all the side repeaters are functioning.
Michael
I would like to get it fixed under warranty. But like I said earlier. It's a 2 hour drive to the dealer. Would much rather get it fixed at my house if it's a simple fix. I work on electronics on helicopters so fixing this shouldn't be hard. Just need to know where to start.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the lights work. I didn't see anything burnt out. That relay that theviper was talking about sound like it could be the problem.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
The relay is ruled out because the flashers work OK on one side and it uses the same relay. Look for a high resistance between the turn signal switch and any light on that defective side.
Michael
All the lights work. I didn't see anything burnt out. That relay that theviper was talking about sound like it could be the problem.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
i have the same problem, supposedly they change out the whole led unit on the bad side.

i'd call a few dealers, its a common enough problem for them to verify whats changed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It could be the tail light, but more commonly the turn signal module goes bad. It is a black box attached to the tail light inside the boot. Try swapping them left to right. If the right side starts flashing fast and the left returns to normal you found your problem. Should be covered under warranty no problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This isn't something that could possibly harm anything is it? Maybe burn up or do something crazy? I'll take it to criswell when I get my first service done. See what they say about the tail light going bad being a common thing.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
No, it will do no damage, unless there is a short somewhere, but that seems unlikely, and anyway that is what fuses are for.
Michael
This isn't something that could possibly harm anything is it? Maybe burn up or do something crazy? I'll take it to criswell when I get my first service done. See what they say about the tail light going bad being a common thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats good to know. thanks. ill just wait till i go to va this week and take it to criswell...

funny thing is. i drove the car tonight and it didnt do it once. maybe it was just a hickup for that brief amount of time. ill see what happens the rest of the week.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Good luck Eric, let me know if I can be of any further help.
Michael
thats good to know. thanks. ill just wait till i go to va this week and take it to criswell...

funny thing is. i drove the car tonight and it didnt do it once. maybe it was just a hickup for that brief amount of time. ill see what happens the rest of the week.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i went to the dealership today for my first service. and had them look at the left turn signal. the tech said that i had A led light out(i checked them all before i went in, they all worked). they changed the whole light assembly and also the control module. or something. i cant remember what he said. but it fixed it. and im glad. no more really fast flashing turn signal. it started to get really annoying sitting at a light with the left blinker on. covered under warranty. wouldnt expect it not to be though. thanks everyone for your inputs.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Same Problem

Great to find this post.

I have a 2009 Elise and I now have the fast blinking turn signal issue. It was just the left signal at first. Now it seems to be both the left and right signals. I think all of the lights are working.

The fast rate starts as soon as the parking lights are turned on. So with either just the parking lights or with the headlights on as well, the blinking is about three times as fast as normal.

I know exactly what you mean about sitting at a traffic light with the turn signal blinking so fast. You immediately get the feeling that something is about to blow up.

The other day my left rear light fell out into the trunk and I put it back. A few months ago this happened too. But this time the bulb actually disengaged from the connector. The connector fell into the trunk and the blub was lying inside the rear light fixture. Maybe the bulb is just loose now? I'm going to check. I think it is the bulb that turns on when you put the car in reverse.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
...ran down to the underground parking just now.

With the lights on, I verified that each of the four circles of LEDs are all on -- none are burnt out.

The white reverse bulb mentioned in the previous post seems unbroken and inserted tightly.

I guess I'll discuss this with the dealer the next time I'm there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
turn signals

I have an 09 also with under 200 miles. First just the left side now both sides. Sometimes they are normal, sometimes not.

figured I would take it in at 600 miles and let the dealer mess with it.

AC didn't work at all last night either???

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Dealer fixed

Great to find this post.

I have a 2009 Elise and I now have the fast blinking turn signal issue. It was just the left signal at first. Now it seems to be both the left and right signals. I think all of the lights are working.

The fast rate starts as soon as the parking lights are turned on. So with either just the parking lights or with the headlights on as well, the blinking is about three times as fast as normal.

I know exactly what you mean about sitting at a traffic light with the turn signal blinking so fast. You immediately get the feeling that something is about to blow up.

The other day my left rear light fell out into the trunk and I put it back. A few months ago this happened too. But this time the bulb actually disengaged from the connector. The connector fell into the trunk and the blub was lying inside the rear light fixture. Maybe the bulb is just loose now? I'm going to check. I think it is the bulb that turns on when you put the car in reverse.
I phoned the Toronto area dealer and mentioned this problem. They said that they knew what it was. A few days later they phoned me to say that they had some parts they could swap.

A few days later I dropped by the dealer and they swapped some cabling in the trunk area. The cabling has some resistors embedded inside and apparantly they were bad. The problem has been resolved. I was only at the dealer for about 10 minutes.

Great service Gentry Lane!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts