The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The really light stuff Mohawk / roof scoop fits over your existing Exige roof. 100% carbon fiber, made in the USA. Doesn't look like the mailbox solution that is out there...

(Also fits over the Elise roof and the Exige S roof - with the Exige S roof you will pop the inlet trim piece off).

Some people are bonding this directly over the roof to provide a bigger air inlet. Other customers are actually cutting off the stock Exige / Exige S roof scoop to provide improved airflow to the intercooler.

Others are bonding, blending and painting the roof completely. Remember the A/C Cobra hood scoops? Those weren't blended... there is beauty in utility.

Price: $788.00

Availability: now shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sneak peek...

The really light stuff Mohawk / roof scoop fits over your existing Exige roof. 100% carbon fiber, made in the USA. Doesn't look like the mailbox solution that is out there...

(Also fits over the Elise roof and the Exige S roof - with the Exige S roof you will pop the inlet trim piece off).

Some people are bonding this directly over the roof to provide a bigger air inlet. Other customers are actually cutting off the stock Exige / Exige S roof scoop to provide improved airflow to the intercooler.

Others are bonding, blending and painting the roof completely. Remember the A/C Cobra hood scoops? Those weren't blended... there is beauty in utility.

Price: $788.00

Availability: approximately 14 days.
Side view please? Is this an entire scoop replacement? If so, how do you bond/blend this piece over the seam/gap between the roof and the roll bar hoop? Doesn't that make the roof non-removeable? Is it a sectional piece like the stock one?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Would this serve any purpose on an Elise, other than aero drag? :shrug:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Side view please? Is this an entire scoop replacement? If so, how do you bond/blend this piece over the seam/gap between the roof and the roll bar hoop? Doesn't that make the roof non-removeable? Is it a sectional piece like the stock one?

Lots of photos etc. to follow in the next couple of days... this is just a sneak peek.

The version shown in the photo... that's a 2009 Exige :) ... will be bonded to your OEM roof panel. It does not affect removability of your roof panel.

To be clear: stock roof is used, and can be either: 1) Elise roof, 2) Exige roof, 3) Exige S roof.

The Mohawk is installed with an industrial adhesive, or alternatively with an industrial double-sided tape in conjunction with four pop rivets - one at each corner for peel strength.

Optionally, you can cut out your restrictive OEM roof duct with the included template, before bonding the rls Mohawk to your roof.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would this serve any purpose on an Elise, other than aero drag? :shrug:
While there are Elises running superchargers that may want to engineer a way to incorporate a roof duct such as this, the point is that you can use an Elise doner roof to create a Mohawk roof.

·
Registered
815 Posts
While there are Elises running superchargers that may want to engineer a way to incorporate a roof duct such as this, the point is that you can use an Elise doner roof to create a Mohawk roof.
Gotcha, thanks!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And a semi-apology for all... the "sneak peeks" are irritating as h*ll from your standpoint, I know... but we all plan our purchases based on what is available, and I believe that in many instances these sneak peeks help with planning.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks that car in the picture doesn't look like a Lotus?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Is this a cost effective alternative?

I would thing after you bond, rivet or whatever this to your roof and/or cut out the old scoop or opening, then sand, blend and paint this -won't it just wind up costing the same as if you would have bought a cheaper aftermarket fiberglass roof (as opposed to some of the cf options being offered now).

I really don't think this is intended to save any weight - it is about function right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems like this would require a LOT more effort and work with ultimately little cost savings after all is done. Save your time and buy a fiberglass roof that will only need priming (possibly) and paint.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Actually you are adding weight to the heavier stock roof over the cf alternatives out there. But it could be a cheaper solution depending on your costs from the body shop.

·
Registered
605 Posts
...and I believe that in many instances these sneak peeks help with planning.
Yes, helpful. And for me, "researching" and looking forward to a purchase is half the fun. I like the sneak peeks!

Is this a cost effective alternative?
I'd estimate a bonded & painted installation would be less than $1k. Overall, it's still less than a new $3k top and more importantly, I get what I want: factory fit, headliner/insulation, original seals, and a factory look from the inside. (Selling the factory top to offset costs is unreliable since every new Exige came with a hardtop and they don't fit the Elise.)

I'm also weary (perhaps ignorantly) of the few report of aftermarket tops flying off.

Modifying my existing top seems like a good alternative. Like everything else out there, perhaps it is not for everyone but it may be for me.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'd estimate a bonded & painted installation would be less than $1k. Overall, it's still less than a new $3k top and more importantly, I get what I want: factory fit, headliner/insulation, original seals, and a factory look from the inside.
If the mohawk is $788 I would think the remaining $212 it takes to be at $1000 is a conservative estimate. There needs to be some consideration that the roof will need to use filler or fiberglass to blend into the mohawk into the existing roof plus being resprayed (color matched) and entirely cleared.

If you can find someone who will do that with quality for $212 then more power to you. :bow: That wouldn't even cover the typical cost of labor in my area let alone the materials needed. Unless I am misunderstanding and you are doing this yourself - and even then I estimate time is worth something.

I'm also weary (perhaps ignorantly) of the few report of aftermarket tops flying off.
As far as these stories about roofs flying off - it can happen to a factory roof if it isn't properly attached. This isn't isolated to aftermarket roofs.

One last point - it's the cf roofs that are going for around $3K, you can get a better deal on the fiberglass aftermarket versions - check Composites. :up: I would be worried about blending two different materials anyway - cf mohawk to fg roof. :sad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cost effective? Cheaper? I like the looks. But, even Lotus admits privately that the mohawk scoop is a tradeoff on cost/benefits of disrupting laminar airflow over the car and channeling more air to the intercooler..

I admit I'm biased. My solution is found under the " Triple Airflow to the Intercooler" ducting kit found in the Powertrain/ Improvements section.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If the mohawk is $788 I would think the remaining $212 it takes to be at $1000 is a conservative estimate.
My "bonded & painted installation" estimate does not include hard parts. I'd ballpark under $2k for the complete job. Not that much in savings, but the other benefits might make it worthwhile to some.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can bond and rivet it yourself. No biggie.

If, on the other hand, you are planning to make it look like a one-piece roof... it would get expensive. That isn't the intention.

Cut off your old scoop w/ template: 1/2 hour. Bond & rivet: 1/2 hour. Do it yourself.

Example: 1) mark roof with template, cut off stock scoop with Dremel or air reciprocating saw. 2) wipe down roof with alcohol / thinner. 3) apply two beads of silicone adhesive. 4) drill four holes for pop-rivets. 5) pop rivet.

Not for everyone, just another option.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can bond and rivet it yourself. No biggie.

If, on the other hand, you are planning to make it look like a one-piece roof... it would get expensive. That isn't the intention.

Cut off your old scoop w/ template: 1/2 hour. Bond & rivet: 1/2 hour. Do it yourself.

Example: 1) mark roof with template, cut off stock scoop with Dremel or air reciprocating saw. 2) wipe down roof with alcohol / thinner. 3) apply two beads of silicone adhesive. 4) drill four holes for pop-rivets. 5) pop rivet.

Not for everyone, just another option.
How about duct tape???

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I like the looks. But, even Lotus admits privately that the mohawk scoop is a tradeoff on cost/benefits of disrupting laminar airflow over the car and channeling more air to the intercooler..
I guess this is just word of mouth from ONE person from lotus Opinion? I dont buy that completely.

My "bonded & painted installation" estimate does not include hard parts. I'd ballpark under $2k for the complete job. Not that much in savings, but the other benefits might make it worthwhile to some.
I agree under 2k.

But FG versions are right around that price. And you lose weight, and you dont have to worry about bonds cracking and showing seams.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts