The Lotus Cars Community banner

What color do you prefer for the anodized engine cover prop rod?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who are part of the RLS Intercooler group buy: which color would you prefer for the anodized engine bay cover prop rod? They all will be the same color, so please vote.

This is Rev 2 of the aluminum prop rod, owners of the previous version who wish to upgrade please contact me via PM.

The forged prop rod is made of high-strength 6061 aluminum. It is removable, prevents distortion of the engine bay cover caused by the gas-charged OEM strut, and weighs 6/10 pound less.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the input... will be going to anodizer tomorrow... still time to vote.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like black and gold are the winners. If my anodizer has gold running anytime soon, I'll try to do a batch of each. If not, they will all be black.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
black

how does the other end work prop up the engine lid.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
black

how does the other end work prop up the engine lid.
When you remove the gas-charged strut from the engine bay lid, you are left with two ball joints: one on the engine bay lid, and one on the rear clam.

The Rev 2 rod engages each of these ball joints to hold the engine bay lid open. Takes only a moment to place it or remove it.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and had both black and gold anodizing done. If you have indicated something other than black or gold, please PM me with your preference (black or gold).

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed PM

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black anodized and gold anodized shown below... (ignore the backwards lower ball joint on the detail photo)...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I love the idea of removing the stock prop rod; this looks like a really light and simple solution :cool:

I have a related question: is there an integrated way to store this, like the prop rod holder clips on the Elise?

·
Registered
688 Posts
When are they shipping? I took my stock intercooler off last week when the new one arrived, then realized I don't have the mounting brackets. :sad: I would like to put it together soon. The sooner the better! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the idea of removing the stock prop rod; this looks like a really light and simple solution :cool:

I have a related question: is there an integrated way to store this, like the prop rod holder clips on the Elise?
Good question... I just tuck my behind the carpet, it stays put... clips would be a nice addition...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I believe the standard single strut do not exactly clear the RLS intercooler unless you have the twin struts like on certain Euro Exige S or the Cup cars.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe the standard single strut do not exactly clear the RLS intercooler unless you have the twin struts like on certain Euro Exige S or the Cup cars.
That's correct. It will *seem* to clear, but under heavy load the engine flops around in the engine bay like a fish out of water... and the larger intercooler can hit the stock gas-charged strut. (There are plenty of reports of the *stock* intercooler doing the same.)

Stiffer engine mounts may prevent this, but I'm not comfortable recommending that anyone keep the standard gas-charged strut without carefully determining whether it will contact the new intercooler. That's why the new prop rod is included. Plus, it is 6/10ths of a pound lighter. :up: (So go ahead... eat that Big Mac!) ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts