1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really Light Stuff Undertray Closeout Panels by NCI

MSRP: $249

Fits both Elise and Exige.

Benefits: improved airflow and downforce by reducing turbulence and increasing the low pressure area under the Elise and Exige.

Total weight: 1 lb 6 oz.

The panels use backing panels so that they fit flush with the rest of the underbody for best airflow.

Now shipping!

Kevin from North Coast Innovations (NCI), a race car fabricator, is behind these. As always, his work is impeccable.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am not an aerodynamic engineer but how much resistance are the panel mounts creating in comparison to the savings in using the panel?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm assuming that those mounts are just for demonstration purposes and are not part of the final design...

The guys at ReVerie claim that this mod helps the undertray/diffuser create a lot more downforce and reduces a bit of drag... most aero devices that create downforce <b>increase</b> drag... so mods like this are considered "free" downforce

Will this work with the various factory suspensions (i.e. shocks)... I thought the droop of the lower A arm would interfere unless you're using shocks with shorter free lengths.

Very interested, and subscribed

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys - those are not the mounts that are on the final product. Those are just to hold the panel in place for fitment during the design stage.

These panels work with the stock suspension or any others. Under full droop, the panels flex a bit to accommodate that condition. Since these will be aluminum, they will be an affordable price.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Does the lower arm come in contact when shocks are unbound when the car is lifted? I was under the impression that they were dragging in clean air under normal weight.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
there is still plenty of air moving in and around the brakes for cooling.when the car is set down.there is plenty of room between panel and lower a arm.when you raise the car the lower a arm does flex it down a bit.but the benefits of closing this area off are worth doing.panels are held in with butt weld clamps.so the gaps seen are from these clamps being there.when fully mounted the gaps will be very tight.it will be mounted with a doubler strip above.then riveted to the under tray and diffuser with counter sunk rivets.you will be able to remove both under tray and diffuser like normal.im waiting for the laser cut parts before i mount them to my car.the front panels will be next.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are being finalized for production... won't be long now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
side benefit they will keep the suspension cleaner

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these compatible with your lift point kit?

Thanks,

Joe
That's a great question... I'll need to check, it will be close. It will be easy enough to add a clearance hole for the lift point kit if it doesn't already clear.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thomas,

Thanks for checking. Assuming that they work together, how far below these panels will the lift point kit extend? From the photo, I'm guessing about 1/2" or so.

It would be cool if the lift point kit was flush with the panel, and a small removable puck could be screwed on for lifting the car ...

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how far below these panels will the lift point kit extend? From the photo, I'm guessing about 1/2" or so.
Normally they extend just barely past the under tray. You can't see them unless you are looking for them from under the car.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
excellent addition to your line of products...I made my own from sheet aluminum, very easy really. (but time consuming) :up:

I also made these for the front suspension.

-Robert

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
because it interferes with the rear suspension if not done properly...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i picked up 5 sets of the block off plates today from the laser cutters.they turned out pretty good.i was planning on doing a trial fitting with pics before going to anodizing.but i have to leave to go to atlanta sunday morning to finish the west wx10 d sports racer for the scca run offs.so i will be gone for a few weeks.west is going to try and take the championship this year and we will have two cars entered in d sports this year.should be a good time.so as soon as i return i will have pics up and the parts will be at the anodizer.there will be 3 sets available out of this run.im getting one set and thomas is getting a set. View attachment 132529

View attachment 132530

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
subscribed :up:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin is amazing...

Shame he is so busy building race cars, but we all benefit from his excellent design and fabrication. Bravo Kevin! :clap:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts