The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber booty – dust shield, what ever it’s called, for the rear brakes, anyone know where to get one, or a set, in the OC, LA airea?

Would this be the same as on a Viper? As in I could maybe get this part at a Dodge dealer.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is no part # from the dealer for this piece. The dealer wants to sell a whole caliper. Not a 50-cent rubber booty.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The rubber booty – dust shield, what ever it’s called, for the rear brakes, anyone know where to get one, or a set, in the OC, LA airea?

Would this be the same as on a Viper? As in I could maybe get this part at a Dodge dealer.

thanks for any help.
Which boot do you mean? The boot around the piston, or the boots on the fixing bolt?

I once looked up the boots on the M10 fixing bolt on LotusGarage... and I was sure I found them. Now they don't seem to be listed... :shrug:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
on the bolt
Is this the boot you mean (red arrow)? They're torn on both rear brakes on my car... but interestingly there are no boots on the M8 bolt below the M10. I did look up replacement boots months ago, and I thought I'd seen them on LotusGarage...

Frankly, I'm not sure it's very critical...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s the one.
Mine’s not that bad!!!
I do have a boot on the lower one and its OK.
I’m just going to put a bit of extra grease on it and call it good for now.
I found the part on eliseparts but I don’t need all that comes with the kit. Probably will need some of it next time.
I went to the Dodge dealer and the parking brake kit for the Viper costs $80.00, and I’m not 100% sure it’s the right thing. Not worth it even if it was the right stuff.
I can’t believe the boots can’t be found some other way. This is stupid.
This boot must be on other cars/brakes too, but how to find out what I haven’t a clue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Go to your lotus dealer... :D

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm curious how you guys are tearing that boot up? Mine are okay at this point and I would like to know what actions I should avoid if there is anything specific you can identify?

Thanks,
xtn

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no clue as to why it tore. Mine isn’t as bad as apk919’s is. There shouldn’t be much if any force in that spot so who knows what’s going on.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm curious how you guys are tearing that boot up? Mine are okay at this point and I would like to know what actions I should avoid if there is anything specific you can identify?

Thanks,
xtn
I don't know why, but it seems the boot has become brittle, and just in the course of replacing the rear pads and checking to make sure the caliper is free to move, the boots tore. I don't think I ever had a boot on the lower M8 fixing bolt...

I'd like to replace them if I can find the parts somewhere...

EDIT: I think this is the kit I need: Elise Parts -  >  > Brembo Refurbishment Kit

It looks like there are only boots for the M10 bolt... are you guys sure you have a boot on the lower M8 bolt?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm only going from memory right now, but I don't think I had a boot on the lower M8 bolt.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ah, this is better... new boots and top guide bushing installed. Three out of the four old ones were torn. The lower "boot" doesn't cover the lower guide bushing the way the top boots do... it's more of a bushing than a boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts

Thanks,
xtn
The boot gets pinched when changing pads if the caliper is unbolted for the pad swap (vs. the remove the rotor method).

Here a thread from two years ago on the subject:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/help-source-rubber-boot-rear-caliper-top-guide-35530/
skip to the second page for the source if he still has some.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The boot gets pinched when changing pads if the caliper is unbolted for the pad swap (vs. the remove the rotor method).

Here a thread from two years ago on the subject:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/help-source-rubber-boot-rear-caliper-top-guide-35530/
skip to the second page for the source if he still has some.

Good Luck
+1

That's probably how mine were torn... the retaining screw on the rotors were frozen solid the first time I changed the rear pads and I just removed the lower caphead bolt and swung the caliper out... probably not a great idea. Now that I have wheel studs I'll probably have to remove the calipers every time I change pads anyway...

·
Registered
780 Posts
That’s the one.
Mine’s not that bad!!!
I do have a boot on the lower one and its OK.
I’m just going to put a bit of extra grease on it and call it good for now.
I found the part on eliseparts but I don’t need all that comes with the kit. Probably will need some of it next time.
I went to the Dodge dealer and the parking brake kit for the Viper costs $80.00, and I’m not 100% sure it’s the right thing. Not worth it even if it was the right stuff.
I can’t believe the boots can’t be found some other way. This is stupid.
This boot must be on other cars/brakes too, but how to find out what I haven’t a clue.
read this.......

Brembo Caliper - SELOC TechWiki

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can help. I started this website to care for the Brembo rear caliper as used on the Viper and (now that I know for sure) Lotus. One installation of a "Viper" caliper went fine and the casting number was the same as that on the "Lotus" caliper.

40mmBrakes Home

The slider boot that fails is due to the pad material abrading and striking the boot. Happens on the Viper also.

I'll start to lurk, browse, and contribute to the Lotus community. If you have brake information, I will be happy to add it to the site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts