The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was changing pads last night and noticed what appears to be a tear in the rubber boot through which the 17mm bolt (item #12 )used to hold the rear brake caliper to the rotor goes through. My question is, this doesn't hold brake fluid does it? Can I drive with it like this until I can get the part to repair it or am I hosed for now?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yes, you can still drive the car with that boot torn, but I wouldn't do it for very long especially in wet weather because it protects the sliding parts of the caliper mount from dirt and corrosion. If enough dirt and corrosion get into the slider area and lock it up, the caliper will not self center itself over the rotor and it can cause all sorts of problems from abnormal pad wear to ineffective braking action, a damaged caliper and/or a warped rotor.

I have heard these boots tear easily. Are they available by themselves or do you have to buy an entire rebuild kit?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can still drive the car with that boot torn, but I wouldn't do it for very long especially in wet weather because it protects the sliding parts of the caliper mount from dirt and corrosion. If enough dirt and corrosion get into the slider area and lock it up, the caliper will not self center itself over the rotor and it can cause all sorts of problems from abnormal pad wear to ineffective braking action, a damaged caliper and/or a warped rotor.

I have heard these boots tear easily. Are they available by themselves or do you have to buy an entire rebuild kit?
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm having my local Lotus service guy find out for me. Any benefit to a quick and temporary fix like tape?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm having my local Lotus service guy find out for me. Any benefit to a quick and temporary fix like tape?
It can't hurt, but I've never seen anything that will adhere to those boots for any length of time. Maybe some high temp Permatex RTV sealant (orange colored stuff) to mend the tear + a layer of rubber friction tape around the boot would work for now? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
icedog made a nice find there. :up:

the "rebuild" was a good search term.

my tack would have been some combo of "torn boot* brake* rubber" or thereabouts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As per the other thread, Lotus will only sell the whole bolt assembly for about $100. Just an FYI.

BTW ace, personally I like your repost warnings.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts