The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got around to doing this. please excuse the photos, taken at night.

The parts are run of the mill made in taiwan units.

Made a plate to mount where rear plate illuminators used to mount, mounted one illuminator in the center of plate. Camera is mounted here, made heat shields that moutned on the license plate bracket and a small one behind the cam. Heat shielding was stuck on relavant surfaces as well as rear of lic plate. THe wire for the cam was tucked between the factory heat shield that protects the rear clam and the clam itself,then routed through one of the existing holes in the trunk. Wires run through the the hole of the bulkhead where transmission lines run through. Power and ground tapped to the fuse box + all relevant wiring runs via center divider and console interior areas. Video wire to the monitor runs behind the rear speaker panel.

Used an aftermarket add on mirror that projected the image so it's larger/closer. In order to get a normal rear view mirror image, need to get a cam or monitor that allows the image to be reversed.

The picture is larger than the JVC options and it's used as would a normal rear view mirror. I think the cam is fisheyed. Haven't roaded tested it yet, will do so soon.

pics:

·
Registered
443 Posts
who makes that diffuser?
do you have a pic from the side?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
my camera goes red as it heats up from the exhaust, and i've still got the rear panel.

definitely an interesting way of doing it though!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
who makes that diffuser?
do you have a pic from the side?
locally made by one of the shops in HK. I'll take one later and post.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my camera goes red as it heats up from the exhaust, and i've still got the rear panel.

definitely an interesting way of doing it though!
the camera and the monitor are on different formats at the moment so all i can get is black and white. Haven't noticed a change in brightness and went for a pretty extensive spirited drive this morning. fingers crossed, it's hot down there.

My mount is attached to the clam and not the rear panel (guessing yours is) so that acts as a sort of heat gasket comparatively.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
D*mn, you got a 63" plasma TV behind the seats? You *are* good!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
better pics during the day

pic from side of diffuser

1 - 8 of 8 Posts