The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good rear camera that is on all the time not just when backing up. I would like to know if someone is behind me while I'm driving. Anyone install anything like this or have any tips for me. I don't get my car till next week and I'm already looking for improvements lol. I saw a exige that had the monitor in the rear view mirror witch is a cool idea since the rear view mirror is useless anyways. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
You just have to wire it to your head unit in that way. The cameras are typically always powered by ignition, and the head unit switches to rear camera when it senses the reverse light.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
You just have to wire it to your head unit in that way. The cameras are typically always powered by ignition, and the head unit switches to rear camera when it senses the reverse light.
Well, sorta. It doesn't sense the reverse light, the camera is hard wired into the reverse light circuit, so when the backup light comes on, juice goes to the camera.

I installed a wireless Audiovox with 4 inch screen. Wasn't part of the head unit. Instead of wiring into backup light, ran a wire from the light to the fuse box in the engine bay to a circuit that was hot when the ignition was turned on. Camera on all the time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, sorta. It doesn't sense the reverse light, the camera is hard wired into the reverse light circuit, so when the backup light comes on, juice goes to the camera.

I'm just gonna say, if that wasn't obvious to them, they should be leaving it to a shop to wire for them.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yes I am running this exact thing right now. I use the Kenwood head unit and the Kenwood CMOS camera mounted right above the licenses plate. It allows me to use it as a rear view mirror at all times.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
I've been looking into a system myself recently. Anyone know what brand system they're using on this Exige? I'm particularly interested in the combo rear view mirror/monitor.

Lotus Exige s 240 | eBay

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I bought a generic camera on eBay and a 2.5 inch LCD. They can be found several places. Camera is on all the time. Wiring it is a bitch. Placed the LCD on the useless rear view Exige mirror. Love it on all the time, eliminates blind spots, helps out a lot on the track!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just be careful with some of those rear view camera mirrors as the rougher ride in a Lotus can make a lot of them go loose and give you a bouncy screen to look at. The lighter ones usually hold up better over time but the Lotus is a harsh environment for them. I don't recommend them personally.

Take it easy on the "if they don't already know" comments. Everyone has a first time when it comes to wiring. You are also going to have to pick one or the other with a switch or auto on when you reverse unless you want your reverse lights on every time you switch the display to the camera. That would confuse some people alright, maybe get a few to stop following so close though. Easiest place to get your power for the switch is your harness for the stereo and a nice hidden place for the switch is in the cubby to the left of the steering column. You want the red wire. Get a switch that is simple on/off, you don't want one with an led for instance as that will just force you to run a ground as well. The wire on the camera harness that says reverse light connects to one side of the switch and the red wire from the stereo harness connects to the other side of the switch. You can also tap into one of the open slots for the fuse panel on the passenger side. Here is the thread on that:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/best-place-tap-some-accessory-power-132522/

Tapping into this block would be easy but since you already have to work on the wiring for the camera you might as well just tap into the red wire there. Some cameras won't like being on all of the time and you might need to plan on replacing them every few years or so.

This is an example of what you want to use:

12V Round Black Rocker Switch 2 Pin 1 Piece Toggle on Off with Wires | eBay

This is an example of what you don't need unless you want to run a ground wire as well just to get a little light that will be always on and would annoy me for instance:

12V Round Black Rocker Switch with Green LED RRSG 2 | eBay

The great thing about these is they are cheap and easy to install into plastic like the cubby sides as you only need a hole and a notch for some that you make with a file so the switch can't rotate. They also blend in the the textured plastic well. I use them for interior light switches and trunk light switches as well. You can find them at many auto parts stores too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a black 2008 exige on ebay it has pictures of what I'm looking for the rear view mirror is the monitor. It has a camera button and a map button I assume that's the navigation. There's no brand name on it does anyone know a good brand? I would rather pay more for a good system then having to replace a not so good cheaper one. I'm not worried about wiring the system I'm sure I'll figure that out I just wanted to know if anyone had one of these or can recommend one they know works good?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The garmin is really nice but I didn't want to mount anything on the dash or window. The rear view mirror monitor isn't adding anything to the car and the rear view is pretty much useless the way it is now.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The garmin is really nice but I didn't want to mount anything on the dash or window. The rear view mirror monitor isn't adding anything to the car and the rear view is pretty much useless the way it is now.
Exactly, that is why my Exige doesn't even have a rear view mirror...just mount the Garmin in place of the mirror...

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I wonder if it would pass inspection without the rear view mirror Pa is pretty strict.
How do semi trucks pass? There is only a requirement for a driver's side mirror...and either a rear view mirror inside the car or a right side view mirror. Only two are required.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here's what Pa state law says http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.68.html

§ 175.68. Mirrors.

(a) Condition of mirrors. Mirrors shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Rearview mirrors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with at least one rearview mirror or similar device which provides the driver an unobstructed view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance of not less than 200 feet. A mirror may not be cracked, broken or discolored.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I lived in a lot of different states and Pa has to be one of the strictest places I ever lived. Even though the mirror is useless they still might not pass it because the car came with one and I took it off. I just moved to the Poconos so I don't have emissions test anymore but I still have the car inspection. If I lived closer to a town I would have to have emissions done also see how weird it is here. When I lived down south you could pretty much drive anything with no inspection.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think you can argue that it doesn't have to be a mirror point with the "similar device" verbiage. Just be prepared.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts