The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but I didn't find much - I was wondering if this here was repairable...

AND if it wasn't where could I find the cheapest rear clam shell? I'm trying everything to keep the price down.

I've attached pictures of the worst areas, the other areas aren't so bad.

No damage to the sub-frame or suspension, luckily.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
There is a guy in Richmond Hill, Ontario who seems to have a rear clam available that even seems to be the same colour as yours. You should really post your location if you want to know about where to get a rear clam cheap.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
What you have shown in the photos above can be repaired, but you won't know how much it will cost until you take it to a body shop. If you intend to repair this on your own or you know of someone that repairs fiberglass (boat shop, surf board repair, etc.) I'm sure it could be done for less than a new clam.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Why do you need a new clam? The guy you called earlier has a used clam that probably doesn't even need to be painted to match your car. You wouldn't even need a body shop. It's a perfect deal.

Why is it hard to find a body shop?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deer ran out, in an effort to miss I swerved and it broke lose(On a blind corner.) Isn't as much damage as it would have been though.

If I go through insurance would I need to file a police report at the scene of the accident?

Could a carbon fiber rear clam be painted to match?

Oh, I'm just researching - I'll probably be giving him back a call to find out more of the specifics.. And to see if he will ship.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
In some jurisdictions, the cops won't even come out if there are no injuries. It's probably not too late to file a police report. You'll need to file one though. If you choose to make a claim out of it. I probably wouldn't. I wish I could get insurance with a $5,000 deductible.

You can paint CF. The weight savings wouldn't be worth the expense IMHO.

It will probably be impractically expensive to ship it over the border. Anton seems to run a Corvette shop though and I'd be surprised if he didn't make regular runs over the border.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi Drew,
Sorry about the clam damage.

It looks very similar to my accident. Not a deer, but a Silverado hit me. :thwack:

Here are some pics of my damage. It did require a new clam, plus a bunch of other stuff underneath that wasn't apparent until the clam came off.

I've got more pics of the damage under the clam if you want a look.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely good idea myfutureselfni , I need to get a ballpark on what it would cost to repair it by going down new shell + paint route...

I'm 21 years old, I have a feeling the insurance is going to rake me through the coals on this one but I can't part from it too long...I'm already having a konniption fit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Wayne, you should post a pic of the invoice from the body shop too so the OP has an idea what to expect.
Good point.

While the whole thing was over $18K, the clam itself was approx. $3,000. That was before painting, which added about $800.

I notice that the OPs exhaust panel (black perforated metal part) is crushed. That ran approx. $300 for the whole piece, including license plate plinth.

Can't say what the labor charge might be to remove old clam and replace with new one. Having just done a clam removal and reinstall myself on the SC install, I'd do it myself. Just get a new clam, have it painted and install the parts yourself.

Good luck.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have an exhaust panel I offered to sell the OP, minus the plinth. I would probably only ask for $50 or something. I think he can do it on the cheap but I'm really curious where the 18k went.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definitely good idea myfutureselfni , I need to get a ballpark on what it would cost to repair it by going down new shell + paint route...

I'm 21 years old, I have a feeling the insurance is going to rake me through the coals on this one but I can't part from it too long...I'm already having a konniption fit.
Typically, a rear clam job ill run you $17k+. About $12k of that being labor. If you dont want to deal with the headaches of sourcing parts and doing all/most of the work yourself, this is one for the ins. co. to eat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have an exhaust panel I offered to sell the OP, minus the plinth. I would probably only ask for $50 or something. I think he can do it on the cheap but I'm really curious where the 18k went.
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but this is a short list of what was replaced on my car:
1. Clamshell
2. Muffler
3. Catalytic converter
4. Rear Diffuser
5. Heat shields
6. Rear Sub-Frame (Bent on impact)
7. Star Shield
8. Exhaust Grills - lower black metal pieces
9. License Plate Plinth
10. Decals and misc trim

Add all the labor in and it got over $18K pretty fast!!! :wallbang: :wallbang:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think all the parts you mentioned (other than starshield) should be pretty easy to source and install himself if he uses a clam that's already painted and has decals. If I were him I would find a shop to write up a quote for 18k+, get the payout from the insurance company and do it on the cheap myself. I think between me and the guy who is parting out the car with the clam, he can get everything on the list. Most likely under 3k.

I was actually just about to throw away a muffler because storing it is more hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree myfutureselfnme - I need to have them paint and install the rest myself. Shouldn't be difficult only time consuming.

Is anybody familiar with RevoZport Racing Technology Ltd. - I was thinking about getting carbon fiber or the FRC, depending on the weight savings from them...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts