The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So without getting into details, the rear clam of my Exige was tapped by another car while parked, enough to crack the fiberglass. Please note the spiderweb above the main point of contact, which may or may not be just a stress crack in the paint.

I have contacted my closest dealer ("NE") who said they have a Lotus-authorized body shop to do the work - replace the clam, and will work with my insurance directly.

Anyone think this is a good move? I am not aware of NE's body work.

Thanks,
dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea, but my Elise has been in the shop for 2 months getting the rear clam replaced. Better luck.
Yeah... I don't expect it will be done in the 30 days they've estimated, but, what can you do??

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'd take it to Specialty Car Craft (SCC). I think it would be worth the drive from LBC. Sorry to hear about that... It wasn't in your parking garage at work hopefully, since I sometimes park in that garage...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Dan,

Sorry to hear about the hit. Take it to Dent Werks / Mulholland Motorsports, and they'll take care of you. If you have the other car's insurance info, they can replace the clam and do it in a timely manner. Stephen from Lotus Beverly Hills works there and ever since he started working there, they've been getting Lotuses in and out fast. If you're paying out of your insurance, they'll repair that clam to save you some $ and you won't even know it was ever hit. You've seen my car in person, so you know what they can do ;)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Looks like a fine time for a do-it-yourself fiberglass repair. It's easy, and it's cheap. From just the picture you've shown, it doesn't look like it needs a full clam replacement. Anyone else have opinions on the DIY approach?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Took the safe route - contacted NE and my insurance. Dropped the car off on Tuesday. Everything handled really smoothly. Insurance claim was very low-stress. But I guess we'll see about fit and finish when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
^ then how would he ship the slightly damage clam?

Good luck with the repairs, the worst part is the months of waiting most face. :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
somewhat related, I have had virtually the same damage to my rear clam since nov 2006. I have since buy 15000 miles on the car, including a large number of track miles. I should post pics, as there has been absolutely no progression of the crack or the spiders in the paint in over two years. I was faced with the same options except that my wife decided to rear end someone in her car nearly the same time, so I didn't want to claim insurance. I was quoted 3-4k by SCC for a repair, but they recomended a new clam. Will probably still have to do it, if I want to sell the car.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INSURANCE UPDATE

Apparently, my insurance is disputing the replacement of the clam, saying they don't have experience with these cars, and are getting their "top" people to review the case. Basically, I think they are moving towards repairing instead.

I know that there are aftermarket outfits that can/will do repairs, and I've found comments both up and down on each particular facility, but I have been paying on my premium for years, and as this is my first claim (I believe - it's been a long, long time)... I just want what Lotus recommends for this car, nothing less. I want it returned to as close to factory as possible.

Am I asking too much??

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man... i would not replace the clam for that. You could have that repaired for under 500 dollars.
:huh:

WTF... If I did not have the car insured, one option would be to do it the CHEAPEST possible way - myself. Unfortunately, I have no experience in fiberglass repair or painting, or even clearbra application. Second, I don't know if I would trust any company out there that says they can properly paint and blend a rear clam for $500, not to mention the costs of the fiberglass repair, clearbra, emblem, etc. And most importantly, I pay a premium for insurance on my cars for a reason - to get the work done properly, as Lotus recommends... not on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
:huh:

WTF... If I did not have the car insured, one option would be to do it the CHEAPEST possible way - myself. Unfortunately, I have no experience in fiberglass repair or painting, or even clearbra application. Second, I don't know if I would trust any company out there that says they can properly paint and blend a rear clam for $500, not to mention the costs of the fiberglass repair, clearbra, emblem, etc. And most importantly, I pay a premium for insurance on my cars for a reason - to get the work done properly, as Lotus recommends... not on the cheap.
I'm just speaking from firsthand experience. I had significantly more damage than than on an ardent red elise, to the point that there was a puncture, that was repaired for about 500 dollars by a corvette shop.

It was 100% perfect, you could never tell. Then a few months later I got rear ended. Ha.

There is NO reason whatsoever to replace the clam for that damage, though. Certain people do, but they're the same people that think it's OK to pay 300 dollars for an oil change.

Lastly, keep in mind that by going through insurance, you're going to decrease the value of your car. Pay a decent shop 300-500 dollars to fix it, If it's not to your satisfaction, then go through insurance. But if it is to your satisfaction, now you don't have to deal with an accident showing up on your carfax report when you try and sell it, and you're probably only out a bit more than your deductible anyway...

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
And then the clam was replaced? :D See, if you had opted to replace the clam in the first place, the car would have still been sitting in the shop! :p

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lastly, keep in mind that by going through insurance, you're going to decrease the value of your car. Pay a decent shop 300-500 dollars to fix it, If it's not to your satisfaction, then go through insurance. But if it is to your satisfaction, now you don't have to deal with an accident showing up on your carfax report when you try and sell it, and you're probably only out a bit more than your deductible anyway...
Damn! That's something I never even considered. Makes sense. But since I already made the claim with insurance, it can't be reversed, right??

Also, out here in the LA area, I think I would be looking at several grand to fix it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts