The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I installed gas lift struts to augment my BOE Fab rear clam hinge, I should have done this years ago when I installed the hinges. I used a strut with just enough force to hold the clam mid-way open, it really makes the hinge feel like a factory piece. Much less force is needed to move the clam; I can open and close it with one hand from either the left or right side of the car; you don't have to open from the rear like you had to do with the stock BOE hinge.

To anchor the chassis side of the struct I fabricated a couple of simple mounts and used an existing hole in the subframe to secure them, I drilled an 8mm hole in the BOE hinge for the clam side mount. The lift struts I added were from Bansbach easylift P/N – D3D3-42-150-385--006-220N 6" (150mm) Stroke 15" (385mm) Extended Length Force: 49.40 lbs (220N) (link below)

https://store.easylift.com/clearance/d3d3-42-150-385--006-220n/?fbclid=IwAR3KicIcMurDq-EGoNiCMXiaWN2NgCbTwTmFlssvvhCMVqmoCKUpcsacmp0

Remember, it's a Lotus, each one is different, your mileage may vary...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Fantastic!

Two questions. First, why did you only use one strut and not put a strut on both sides? Two, how close are they getting to the exhaust? These struts do not like heat and I'm wondering that track use may get them too warm.

Great Job,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic!

Two questions. First, why did you only use one strut and not put a strut on both sides? Two, how close are they getting to the exhaust? These struts do not like heat and I'm wondering that track use may get them too warm.

Great Job,
Eldon
Eldon, I did use two struts (one on each side), I only posted pictures of one of them, sorry about the confusion. The lift struts are rated to 80°C (176°F) so they're fairly robust, to address the heat I'm using a heat shield on the left side lift strut to shield it from the 180 degree bend in the exhaust, I think the right side is far enough away to stay cool. I'm fabricating the heat shield today so I'll post pictures later. I've removed most of the factory heat shield from around the exhaust and I'm using a custom rear valance panel that allows more airflow; things stay pretty cool back there as it is.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Some pictures would be great. On my Exige, I do not have that hole unless you drilled yours out. Also, the Exige clam weights a little more than the Elise clam so I'm wondering how close the strength of the rods are.

Also, where in Iowa do you live? I grew up in Cedar Rapids and went to school at ISU even though I'm a Hawkeye fan!

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice! Good to see you back at it Jetblast.
Thanks man, it's great to have time to work on it again. I'm hoping to have it driving again soon as time and budget allow.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some pictures would be great. On my Exige, I do not have that hole unless you drilled yours out. Also, the Exige clam weights a little more than the Elise clam so I'm wondering how close the strength of the rods are.

Also, where in Iowa do you live? I grew up in Cedar Rapids and went to school at ISU even though I'm a Hawkeye fan!

Later,
Eldon
I'm not sure about the weight of the Exige clam, these would still provide quite a boost over not having anything, but they also have plenty of other lift struts with higher force ratings. I"m in central Iowa in the Des Moines metro area, and I'm an ISU grad too!

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I'm not sure about the weight of the Exige clam, these would still provide quite a boost over not having anything, but they also have plenty of other lift struts with higher force ratings. I"m in central Iowa in the Des Moines metro area, and I'm an ISU grad too!
I ordered a set of what you used. I looked at some others but the force level goes up quite a bit. I'll try these and if I feel I need more, I'll find some.

I use to autocross with DMVR when I was in college and while I was still in the MidWest area. In fact my current region of record is still DMVR.

Take care,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered a set of what you used. I looked at some others but the force level goes up quite a bit. I'll try these and if I feel I need more, I'll find some.

I use to autocross with DMVR when I was in college and while I was still in the MidWest area. In fact my current region of record is still DMVR.

Take care,
Eldon
I'm working on a revised strut mount bracket design to provide a little better clearance to some components and a cleaner aesthetic. when I'm done I'll send you the new bracket design if you want.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I'm working on a revised strut mount bracket design to provide a little better clearance to some components and a cleaner aesthetic. when I'm done I'll send you the new bracket design if you want.
Yes, please do that.

Thanks,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Bumping this....came up when lookign for pics of the clam hinge. This looks like a great modification!

Any updates as noted or additional pics?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
That will definitely be one of my winter projects. :grin2:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Definitely adding this to my hinge, very rarely do I get an extra set of hands to help tilt.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts