The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 Elise, 27k miles, stock other than exhaust. Minor clam ding, having it repaired after I removed it. What all should I do while the clam and diffuser are off? Obvious are oil change, perhaps check the cams for wear, but what else should I do while I'm waiting to get the clam back from the painter? Suggestions welcome. I searched but didn't find any posts covering this, but feel free to point me if I've not found it. Thnx!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine thermostat, check the notorious oil u bend, do the serpentine belt, Install a supercharger, get a clam hinge kit.

Take a bunch of cool pictures to show friends later...
I should add that I'm trying to generally keep it stock :smile2:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
If you have a need to improve the play in the shifter, this would be a good time to replace the cables and possibly upgrade the shift linkage with the LESTLA system. Good time to change the air filter. I also took the opportunity to clean up the shims and adhere them together into a single unit by using a thin layer of RTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a need to improve the play in the shifter, this would be a good time to replace the cables and possibly upgrade the shift linkage with the LESTLA system. Good time to change the air filter. I also took the opportunity to clean up the shims and adhere them together into a single unit by using a thin layer of RTV.
Thanks - Good idea on the shims - the tape is still there but a bit crusty. I had just done the filter, and my shifter is solid , but i'll look at the LESTLA system.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
1. Check bolt torque
2. Inspect hoses and wiring
3. Check/replace spark plugs
4. Clean everything

If you're staying stock I'm out of ideas

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
Other things maybe on your list:
1. Carefully examine the engine wiring harness. They're not aging well.
2. examine the hoses going from the engine to the sills. One of my heater hoses was crimped, resulting in poor heater performance. The cure was to unhook it from the sill pipe, cut it about 2" shorter, then reattach.
3. consider converting to the EU/UK standard oil cooler - this also gets rid of the aluminum U-bend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions! A new but not unexpected discovery, with the rear raised up, I find a coolant leak from the front, so looks like I'm doing the rad also... while I have the system drained for the thermostat :)

So current list of tasks include:

- LESTLA - I decided to do it while the clam is off, looks like a very nice setup, now have one on order
- Serpentine Belt
- Thermostat (and now radiator...)
- Check cams
- Plugs
- Inspect / clean / tighten
- Oil change

Just changed the air filter, so good on that.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,404 Posts
If you have the front clam off now, the blower motor might be worth looking at.
If you do the clam hinge look at relocating the battery.
Look at your coolant tank but I think this is more of an issue in the Exige.
Check pulleys for play.
Check water pump, I know not many report issues but mine went bad and was pain to replace clam on (good amount of track time may have lead to the short life of mine).
If you plan to upgrade front brake lines now would also be the time with the clam off.
Read the tips for a quicker clam removal if you are not installing the clam hinge, it can cut removal time to under 30 minutes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have the front clam off now, the blower motor might be worth looking at.
If you do the clam hinge look at relocating the battery.
Look at your coolant tank but I think this is more of an issue in the Exige.
Check pulleys for play.
Check water pump, I know not many report issues but mine went bad and was pain to replace clam on (good amount of track time may have lead to the short life of mine).
If you plan to upgrade front brake lines now would also be the time with the clam off.
Read the tips for a quicker clam removal if you are not installing the clam hinge, it can cut removal time to under 30 minutes.
Thanks - good suggestions, had not thought about the blower motor.

I'm not doing the clam hinge - too many non-reversible changes given my objective to keep the car original and stock. I didn't find it too bad to remove the clam honestly, and hopefully won't have to do it very often... I have to look for "tips for a quicker clam removal", don't recall seeing that, but I'll search the forum again.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,404 Posts
Thanks - good suggestions, had not thought about the blower motor.

I'm not doing the clam hinge - too many non-reversible changes given my objective to keep the car original and stock. I didn't find it too bad to remove the clam honestly, and hopefully won't have to do it very often... I have to look for "tips for a quicker clam removal", don't recall seeing that, but I'll search the forum again.
Not sure what to actually search, but this kit and or instructions may help. Modular Rear Clamshell Kit for Lotus Elise

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
359 Posts
If you are doing crankcase oil you might as well do gearbox fluid
Obviously both of these tasks are very easy with clam on so not urgency.
Clam off up front is a whole different story on things to do.

1. Rad (Blackwatch Racing)
2. Rad rubber lines (GRP)
3. Stainless brake lines with the added inner bleeder screw (Inokenetic)
4. Heating resistor pack (royal PITA especially if you have AC)

Good luck.

Henry
'07 Exige S
'05 Elise

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are thinking of doing a header this would be the time, but that does take you away from the idea of staying stock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
While you have the front clam off, if you want to convert to stainless steel or quick bleed brake lines, now would be a good time since the clam has to be removed to do them. If you don't know the last time the brake fluid was changed, now is a good time. Double bonus of already having the under tray off for bleeding the clutch as well as the brakes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Replacing the rear motor mount with a stiffer bushing will reduce engine rock on acceleration and help with shifting under load. Removing the crankcase vent and blocking the openings in the block would also be something to do at this point, but you might want to add catch cans too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts