The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
We are all trying to stay positive on this issue... First person to receive a clam here stateside needs to make a mold for the US market!

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
This is very worrying, especially as an Exige owner seeing that there is even less demand for our clams! When I inevitably get hit by a texting teenager I want to know that my car can be repaired!!

I'm surprised there are no aftermarket suppliers that offer clams. It has a better business case than almost any other part because cars will always be in accidents and need clams...

·
Less is Better
2,432 Posts
This is very worrying, especially as an Exige owner seeing that there is even less demand for our clams! When I inevitably get hit by a texting teenager I want to know that my car can be repaired!!

I'm surprised there are no aftermarket suppliers that offer clams. It has a better business case than almost any other part because cars will always be in accidents and need clams...
Just make sure your insurance can cover the true replacement cost of the car and enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^ nice find guy!

·
Registered
936 Posts
DO NOT BUY A EURO CLAM. They are not the same as the US ones. There are difference which could very well mean you've wasted your money in the long run on top of paying silly transport costs.

Lotus Cars USA is working very hard to resolve this. I have faith in Dave, Rick and the rest of the team that they will get this solved for us as fast as possible.
Just for reference, does this apply to 2011 US Elises? With a bit more than 100 in the country, if the RoW clam doesn't fit for ours, we could be in a pickle in terms of spare clams.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts

Yikes, that almost happened to me in my Exige on the freeway today. I caught some motion in my peripheral vision in the (side) mirror and saw an old Isuzu Trooper bearing down on me... I swerved over to the emergency lane just in time to see her skidding to a stop phone still in hand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That wouldnt be fun at all if they totaled my car for it pending on being fixed. I actually picked up my Lotus last week to hold in my garage due to the fact that, SCC, has 4 or 5 lotus behind me waiting for clams and Henry said he doesn't know how long it will be. So he put it back together and asked me if it would be ok to keep it, since he's running out of space. Now it's just sitting around in my garage and I'm always finding a reason to go in the garage to clean my car or find something to make it look better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
If only I knew how to make and mold clams I would open up a business and start making some good money. Definitely a demand for these.

I almost got side swiped by a semi truck with a trailer today on the 5 north passing Disney way. Guess he didn't see me (obviously), and went 1/4 into my lane, and as I swerved into the right lane he jerked back into his, almost knocking the load on his trailer off, into my lane. Pretty scary stuff.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
This is why when I drive, I drive like I am being stalked and hunted. Always looking out for that hunter. I am very attached to my clams, and my clams are currently very attached to my car.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
Ditto komiko! Until that sniper shoots across the boulevard and hits a tree unleashing mayhem(freshly sharpened saw blades, drill bits, a floorjack and misc. tools)in your face as you're heading in the opposite direction.:crazyeyes In which case you don't even see it coming due to his tree cover...:facepalm I'm telling you the snipers are like hidden landmines. You don't know they are there until they get you!!!:panic:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
do we happen to know the approximate (or exact) weights of the factory clams? My best friend from high school - makes cf stuff and glass stuff for America's Cup boats, (he also made a deck for one of Dennis Connor's AC boats) - he wants to know how much they are supposed to weigh.. I am not willing to disassemble my car at the moment to find out. I was hoping it was readily available information.

·
Registered
286 Posts
S2 Exige oem clam weights:

Front 14.3kg (excluding headlight back)
Rear 24.3kg (including trunk)

Properly done Vac wet lay CF only, should be half of these weights but some CF wet lay on FRP are heavier than oem.

Autoclaved CF only, can be 1/3 weight of oem but sometimes the internal trunk section is not included (race cars).

The S2 Elise front clam was injection moulded and lighter than the S2 Exige front clam. Maybe someone has the weight of the S2 Elise Clams? I think the oem S2 Elise rear clam is 17.7kg.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts