The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Elise got gently nudged in the rear at a stop light about a month ago. The other guy's insurance is covering everything no problem, working with my preferred shop who are the local experts on Lotus, so all of that is going fine. However, this evening the guy at the shop called me to tell me that they were having trouble finding a new rear clam. According to him (and my local Lotus dealer) the supplier who Lotus had contracted to make rear clams for them has folded and the supply has dried up while they're trying to figure out who is going to start making them again. They're telling me it may be several months before they can get one.

Anyone else who is (or has very recently been) looking for a rear clam for an '05 Elise been getting this same answer? Any suggestions from the faithful out there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would just repair it then if the damage is not too bad. If done correctly you won't be able to tell the difference and you should have money left over for goodies.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm hearing the same thing in NC. The exact same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. There is a guy here who has been waiting more than 2 months now. Frustrating when it is not your fault. Stupid inattentive drivers.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I would be more concerned with like what Nessal said. Normally insurance companies want to close cases with in 30 days and I think most start finding ways to get it out of their cue no later than 90 days. Might be a total loss in the minds

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
I believe if they can not find parts within a certain time span that your car will be declared totaled.
They almost did that when fixing my beater...because the rental car costs were piling up.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
tell the insurance company you can repair for a bit less ($200?)
than the new! That should make them happy. Meanwhile get repair estimates from the best f/g shop. Are S111 rear clams available? Are they streetable?

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I know a guy that waited 8 months. I would say repair it.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
WOW! I know clams were not available for a couple months last year when they closed the plant for a bit. I got one of the first front clams available when they restarted production. I would hate to see some of our cars being totaled due to not being able to get clams for them! That is not cool.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I can't believe a carbon clam replacement hasn't been discussed. Since a stock clam isn't available, the carbon clam is damn sure cheaper than totaling a car.

San

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe Shinoo has available aftermarket replacement clams for $1500. Check the Sector 111 website. they look pretty nice, and probably a lot cheaper than factory anyway, ans supposedly a bit lighter. I would imagine you would need to add you own heat shield material, but that is easy. Plenty of that kind of stuff available thru Summit Racing, Pegasus, etc. Hope this helps..........

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I would be more concerned with like what Nessal said. Normally insurance companies want to close cases with in 30 days and I think most start finding ways to get it out of their cue no later than 90 days. Might be a total loss in the minds

I'm going on two months now waiting for my estimated twenty days of work to get approved - they care more about the bottom line than the timeline it seems. Be careful saying that it is repairable on the forum - if it is, you'll get much less paid out, or at least that is the situation I am in

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I believe Shinoo has available aftermarket replacement clams for $1500. Check the Sector 111 website. they look pretty nice, and probably a lot cheaper than factory anyway, ans supposedly a bit lighter. I would imagine you would need to add you own heat shield material, but that is easy. Plenty of that kind of stuff available thru Summit Racing, Pegasus, etc. Hope this helps..........
i heard the S111 rear clams are fine for street car replacement - the fronts are a different story...something about headlight cut outs?

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
My 2005 Elise got gently nudged in the rear at a stop light about a month ago. The other guy's insurance is covering everything no problem, working with my preferred shop who are the local experts on Lotus, so all of that is going fine. However, this evening the guy at the shop called me to tell me that they were having trouble finding a new rear clam. According to him (and my local Lotus dealer) the supplier who Lotus had contracted to make rear clams for them has folded and the supply has dried up while they're trying to figure out who is going to start making them again. They're telling me it may be several months before they can get one.

Anyone else who is (or has very recently been) looking for a rear clam for an '05 Elise been getting this same answer? Any suggestions from the faithful out there?

Thanks.
Who's our local expert on Lotus? Aside from Park Place, that is.

Might look at these guys:

http://www.esta-international.com/lotus-elise-s2-oem.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts