The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 Exige S and I’m trying to remove the rear diffuser to get at the 02 sensors. I removed all 14 bolts and it’s loose but won’t come off.
What am I missing???
Thanks for any help

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I did have everything removed, but I was afraid to yank on it too hard.
i just hopped under it and played with it some more and is slid out. I’ll take a look later when it’s cooler and see what was holding it up.
thano’s for the responses

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Reactions: Sslawson

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
After you removed all the 6mm(?) fasteners, the 2 big bolts from the front middle, and dont forget the ones at the very front that attach to the next undertray, the diffuser is held in by two reinforcement bars that hang on something in the rear. So you slide it forward probably 3 inches and it should drop out.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ok I did have everything removed, but I was afraid to yank on it too hard.
i just hopped under it and played with it some more and is slid out. I’ll take a look later when it’s cooler and see what was holding it up.
thano’s for the responses
I've seen various people put some kinds of rubber gaskets and found in parts of the diffuser to prevent vibrations. Could be that or the adhesives from it getting stuck.

·
2006 Exige
1,386 Posts
I almost always remove the engine pan before the diffuser. It’s rare that I don’t need both out of the way, and when removing both it’s easier to remove the engine pan first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I always need both off anyway I take both off as one unit. Yes, I never take off the 5 bolts holding them together.

Also, I unbolt everything with the car on the ground no problem. Then when I lift the first side, I pull the whole thing out the back.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Since I always need both off anyway I take both off as one unit. Yes, I never take off the 5 bolts holding them together.

Also, I unbolt everything with the car on the ground no problem. Then when I lift the first side, I pull the whole thing out the back.
I’m not sure that would work (taking off as one unit) with a through-diffuser exhaust, but I can see it otherwise.

I’ve removed both with the car on the ground, but re-installing them with the car on the ground is harder than it’s worth, easier just to back the rear end up onto ramps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
When I drop my belly pan's it's onto a HF dolly with a 2" foam board on top it's slides out easily then and also allows cantilevering the belly pan into the slot easily with one hand.

Reactions: Sslawson

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all the tips…!
I removed both 02 sensors and probably going to replace both as they are a pain in the butt to get out.
Riebis is has them in stock…is a certain brand preferred or to be avoided?

Pen Office supplies Writing implement Textile Sleeve

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Update: auto parts store did not have the correct 02 sensor
One option

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh yes monkey wrench racing , I’ve seen their name a fair amount on this site.
Thanks for teeing this up so I can order tomorrow!
ive been working on this PO171 code since about a week into acquiring my Lotus and I am itching for some long drives without staring at an engine check light!

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
If still having issues after replacing o2 sensors check for vacuum leaks and see if MAF dirty again.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Also get your battery checked. I had a P0171 that stayed no matter what. Did o2 sensors, propane checked for leaks, cleaned my MAF. Nothing would make it go away. Just threw a new battery at it and BAM all fixed up.
Never a bad idea to have battery load tested for intermittent and weird issues.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts