The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install a rear fog light AND the auxiliary driving lights to my Lotus.

Typically BOTH are turned on by the third switch in the light panel. Note: the third switch is not included in the OEM FED Elise, it’s included in the auxiliary driving lights-kit.

Rear fog light thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/fog-light-circut-added-58489/

Is it possible to connect both the rear fog light AND the auxiliary driving lights to this third switch? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
I would like to install a rear fog light AND the auxiliary driving lights to my Lotus.

Typically BOTH are turned on by the third switch in the light panel. Note: the third switch is not included in the OEM FED Elise, it’s included in the auxiliary driving lights-kit.

Rear fog light thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/fog-light-circut-added-58489/

Is it possible to connect both the rear fog light AND the auxiliary driving lights to this third switch? :shrug:
Hey, how are you?

One option is to use a relay from backup lights to rear fog, which would turn on the fog whenever you are in reverse. Unless you see a need to have fog on w/o backing up car.

-g

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm fine, looking forward to mess with lights in Elise again. Trying not to reserve high/low beams this time! LOL

I need the rear fog light to comply with EU regulation when I take my car back later this year, although in practice I only used rear fog light only 5 times during 15 years of driving since you're only allowed to use them during HEAVY fog because the fog light is so bright.
So basically it needs to work during the technical inspection when I turn on the switch, not only when I'm in reverse. If it's easy to connect&disconnect the rear fog light to the third switch, I'll just connect it for the techn. inspection only and then after the inspection connect the driving lights again (don't tell anybody!!). I'll probably use the dr.lights much more, I hope to never need to use the rear fog lights.

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
ED -

So, are you and your wife leaving us forever??

I would simply put in a 3 way switch: on, on, off. I have one or two, but think they are white, not black.

Put hole in plastic plate, put switch thru, fasten nut, done.

-g

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G
thanks for advice!
Yes we're leaving, maybe we will going back to NYC later in the future since I still love it here but for now we're going to live back home again. I need to get back to my employer over there.
Enrico

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...is the rear fog light what that mystery clamhole above the federal license plate is for?..

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Behind the switch plate are (multiple) wired connectors which are each labeled (fog lamp, dr light, etc). Assuming that the fog lamp wiring in the connector is set up (ground, pos., switch, etc) the same way as the driving lamp I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just unplug the driving lamp switch, plug it into the fog lamp connector and have a working fog lamp (after appropriate back of the car wiring that is) and then be able to just reverse to get your driving lights back.

But as glb has already pointed out, placing another switch into the panel would work just as easily...

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
G
thanks for advice!
Yes we're leaving, maybe we will going back to NYC later in the future since I still love it here but for now we're going to live back home again. I need to get back to my employer over there.
Enrico
E -

You two should come out for one more run with us.

g

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
On the EU spec cars it technically not a fog light, they come on with the high beam and are called high beam assist lights. The beam pattern would actually probably suck balls in the fog btw.. The rear fog lights are a separate circuit that is turned on via it's own switch. If your car has to be to spec and they look threw the Lotus spec manual then they may catch you on them being hooked up to turn on with the rear fog lights and ding you. I originally thought they were fog lights as well as did the Japanese tech inspectors till we looked threw there inspection manual and found out what was really going on. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts