The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was trying to re-mount my hardtop today, and noticed that my driver's rear bracket appears to be incredibly misaligned (I bought the car with the hardtop already attached, and didn't notice when I removed it). In order to get the screw to line up and actually thread, the forward edge of the bracket has to be angled very far away from the top (1st pic), which causes to hook on the rear to dig in to the body underneath the vehicle-side bracket (2nd pic). Also, I was unable to capture it well in the picture, but the hook does not actually sit in the notch of the vehicle-side bracket; it is moreso wedged in the gap between the bracket and the body.

I decided to go ahead and try unscrewing the captive bolt all the way to try and see just how far off the hole in the clamp is from the nut on the bracket, and saw the following:

As you can see, I am barely able to get clamp aligned properly, even with the room gained from the necked-down portion of the bolt.

I am tempted to try extending the hole in the clamp until I can get it to line up properly, but am worried that it may introduce some play and reduce clamping force. Has anybody else had this issue?

Edit - I forgot to mention: the passenger-side bracket does not have this problem, and is able to be lined-up and threaded without any issues.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Ken you should bring it up sometime and I'll take a look at it. I've messed with mine alot. Plus you can check out some of the Concept:Carbon pieces we are working on. :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
me73, just read your other thread. Why does the hardware you both have look so janky? Can anyone confirm whether or not it's OEM?

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
me73, just read your other thread. Why does the hardware you both have look so janky? Can anyone confirm whether or not it's OEM?
It's factory (OEM has too many meanings). I know my car's complete history.

They first added the Velcro to the hook to stop noises sometime during the 2005-2006 model year and then changed the mounting bracket on the top after that. My car was one of the first delivered from Park Place in Seattle and came with the hard top.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's factory (OEM has too many meanings). I know my car's complete history.

They first added the Velcro to the hook to stop noises sometime during the 2005-2006 model year and then changed the mounting bracket on the top after that. My car was one of the first delivered from Park Place in Seattle and came with the hard top.
Same here, the previous owner of my car ordered it back in 2003, so it was an early car, prior to the apparent hardware change. Mine still fits like that, so I'm actually waiting on a new hook and plastic "receptacle" to come in the mail from Lotus Garage. If those don't fix the problem, I'm going to try adjusting the mounting plate on the hardtop and/or modifying one of the hooks to fit better.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Didn't realize they changed the hardware later on. Though I'm sure it offers a lot more improvements and (from the looks of it) adjustability, I can't help but think it looks cheaper. Thought it was hardware offered by companies that replicate hardtops.

·
Registered
639 Posts
hey,

You need to loosen the bolts that hold the bracket to the hardtop (the ones with the green marks on them) and then tighten up the bolt that holds it to the car. Once the bracket lines up, tighten at least one bolt from the bracket to the hardtop and then loosen the bolt holding it to the car and tighten the rest of the bolts that hold the bracket to the hardtop. It looks like in your pic that the whole fixed piece that mounts to the hardtop needs to slide forward. You can get the tool you need to do this at Sears. Comes in a 5 or six piece socket set as I recall. Don't remember the name of the style but it is effectively a Torx set with a hole in the center of the head. Hope this helps.

later
Corvus

·
Registered
639 Posts
By the way just noticed where you are at. I used to live over in Florence. They still have the mall water tower painted with "y'all" on it?

Later
Corvus

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
hey,

You need to loosen the bolts that hold the bracket to the hardtop (the ones with the green marks on them) and then tighten up the bolt that holds it to the car. Once the bracket lines up, tighten at least one bolt from the bracket to the hardtop and then loosen the bolt holding it to the car and tighten the rest of the bolts that hold the bracket to the hardtop. It looks like in your pic that the whole fixed piece that mounts to the hardtop needs to slide forward. You can get the tool you need to do this at Sears. Comes in a 5 or six piece socket set as I recall. Don't remember the name of the style but it is effectively a Torx set with a hole in the center of the head. Hope this helps.

later
Corvus
Worked perfectly! Much thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sorry me73, Y'all comment was directed at Variance in Kentucky. They tried to paint the water tower before the mall was erected and someone complained about false advertising, so they painted over the legs on the "m" in mall and made it into "y'all". Rather than correct it when the mall was finished, they turned it into the Florence Y'all festival every labor day.

On another note, glad to hear the fix worked for you. I see you also have an 82 RX? I regret giving up my 85, but I did step into a RX-8 for my daily driver. Kind of a nice balance between the rotary world and the Elise. I'll have to look you up next time I'm in Lynnwood.

later
Corvus

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Sorry me73, Y'all comment was directed at Variance in Kentucky. They tried to paint the water tower before the mall was erected and someone complained about false advertising, so they painted over the legs on the "m" in mall and made it into "y'all". Rather than correct it when the mall was finished, they turned it into the Florence Y'all festival every labor day.

On another note, glad to hear the fix worked for you. I see you also have an 82 RX? I regret giving up my 85, but I did step into a RX-8 for my daily driver. Kind of a nice balance between the rotary world and the Elise. I'll have to look you up next time I'm in Lynnwood.

later
Corvus
I've had the Rx7 for 20 years and it was my dad's car when new. I never thought I'd find a car I enjoyed driving more until I stepped into the Elise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey,

later
Corvus
Thanks for this info; I'll have to try it out as soon as I get the chance...

By the way just noticed where you are at. I used to live over in Florence. They still have the mall water tower painted with "y'all" on it?

Later
Corvus
Yep, the "Florence Y'all" water tower is definitely still there; I drive past it all the time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey me73,

I'll have to look you up next time I head over to that area, I would love to check out your RX. Would bring back some memories. Here's a pic of my two rotaries.

Corvus

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts