The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up replacing the rear lower link bushings. Not that big a job but pressing in the new ones is not easy especially if you don't have the special tool. The old ones didn't look that bad but Ralph (RS Motorsports) saw it and knew they were bad. In fact, the lower links were hitting the spacer washers and started wearing grooves into them. No way to see that till you disassemble but Ralph saw the rubber had shifted and knew what was happening. I had him get me the bushings and press them in, I R & R'd the lower links. This is something everyone should inspect once a year when under the car. If you don't see the shoulders of the rubber bushings on each side, they have shifted and need to be replaced. The outer ones go first but you replace them all (4).
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
132 Posts
David,
What I did to press mine in was used a 1.25" soft copper pipe and flared the end. The bushings went in so easy after that.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I asked Ralph to order the bushings and he had the tool and I am only a few minutes away I figured it wasn't worth the trouble and anyway I don't have a press. The special tool is just a piece of round stock with an internal taper. I could make one in a few minutes on a lathe.
David Teitelbaum

·
My car sneezes
652 Posts
Esprits eat lower control arm bushings. I like the “hybrid” bushing idea from Larry Marsala back in the days Since the shoulder is what fails first, on a good bushing, trim off the shoulder and replace with a delrin washer. Lasts much longer than an OEM bushing while not being as hard as poly.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,865 Posts
I've seen a lot of Esprits with bushings like the middle picture, above. Ours are still OK.

BUT, our upper control arm bushings have perished. See the rusty bit? 😢 Took that as a SIGN to order adjustable ones from JAE.

I also obtained the bespoke bushing insertion tool that JAE loans out. This is a tapered collar with clearance for the arm. Will be installing these parts soon.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am expecting delivery tomorrow of 16 inch threaded rods, High misalignment rod ends, spacers, and rubber weather protectors that I think will bolt up for the lower link.

stand by for some photos and install adventure. Might be another option for folks who dont mind a slightly louder ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Back in the day...well OK, it was way back...I recall using appropriate size deep well sockets and heavy duty c-clamps to press Europa bushings in/out. That was a suspension refresh during the street-to-SCCA-racer transformation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts