The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
So I will be rebuilding my motor - found scoring on the cylinder walls and my intake cam is wiped.
I realized that I’ll need to replace oil coolers(my 05 elise has 2) because there could be some metal shavings in the system:(
I am currently running a rev 400 with the passenger mounted intercooler and on the driver side I have a BOE fuel surge tank.
My surge tank already would get hot on some autocross days - not sure why???
So placing an oil cooler right next to it might be a bad idea?
Is there enough room to have both - the oil cooler and a surge tank next to each other on the driver side as well as keeping the surge tank cool?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yeah it's perfectly fine. If you are worried about heat I would get rid of all that shielding and increase airflow for the biggest improvement.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Do you mean around the exhaust?
I am still running the bottom exit pipe.
Yeah you can remove all of that and the only downside is your beer gets hot in the trunk faster at the benefit of the engine bay being much cooler.

If it was my car and I had the cooler and IC on each side I would add vented louvers over the tires to let the air out, but I know most wont cut the clams.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
You should just upgrade to the front Hex intercooler system from BOE.

San

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I know I should just get the hex, I do auto-x and canyons so that might be overkill for me. Also not super flush with cash at this moment. Also I like my ac which surprisingly is working...

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I know I should just get the hex, I do auto-x and canyons so that might be overkill for me. Also not super flush with cash at this moment. Also I like my ac which surprisingly is working...
You can keep the AC with the Hex. It's been done already.

San

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
You can keep the AC with the Hex. It's been done already. San
Just did this a few months ago:

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Just did this a few months ago:

How does the HX effect high speed stability? In theory, opening up the front underside of the car disrupts the low pressure, high speed flow under the car. Which should, again in theory, upset the downforce on the front end of the car as air gets pulled from the front of the car to the underside as it passes through the radiator. I'm just wondering if you can tell.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
How does the HX effect high speed stability? In theory, opening up the front underside of the car disrupts the low pressure, high speed flow under the car. Which should, again in theory, upset the downforce on the front end of the car as air gets pulled from the front of the car to the underside as it passes through the radiator. I'm just wondering if you can tell.
Seems just fine at 130mph - which is the fastest I've had her so far... Feels just the same. 70% of the airflow is still sloping upwards through the radiators / AC condensor.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Seems just fine at 130mph - which is the fastest I've had her so far... Feels just the same. 70% of the airflow is still sloping upwards through the radiators / AC condensor.

How do you know the % of flow split?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts