The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been contemplating what the car would look like with the Lotus “S” exhaust with the rear panel gone and if my stage 2 would be quieter in the car. I purchased and then painted the Sector111 rear panel eliminator kit. As you can see from the pics I retained most of my heat shield and painted the visible heat shield parts with BBQ grill paint. The paint is supposed to be good up to 1500 degrees. I couldn’t stand the bright heat shield staring back at me and was concerned about the paint chipping off and looking bad but I said what the heck and painted it anyway. So far I have driven the car for several 30-40 drives and the paint on the heat shield is doing fine. I am more concerned about the paint on the rear clam because just above where the exhaust enters the muffler the clam gets hot as hell. So hot I can’t keep my hand on it for more that a second. I am guessing everyone without rear panels had this issue? My exhaust is much quieter in the car now and I don’t get that loud hum… well I get it but it is more bearable now.

1st pic – what was left of the heat shield after I cut the back of it off with tin snips.
2nd pic – the piece I removed/cut off.
3rd pic – this is the top of the heat shield. I took this pic lying on my back. The rear of the car is on the bottom. You can see the plate lights.
4th pic – finished install.
5 th pic – finished install. Notice the black painted heat shield on right and left of the exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks for posting that, always wondered what it would look like. Is that gloss paint?

Anyway, I find it interesting that the clam gets so hot there, I would think if you had an above diffuser exit, that it would get hot there, but you don't. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm....?
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
570 Posts
The alternative is to completely remove the heat shield.

Multiple people have done this without a problem, the underside of the trunk has foil covered fiberglass insulation.

Stunning car, great color.

ken

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The alternative is to completely remove the heat shield.

Multiple people have done this without a problem, the underside of the trunk has foil covered fiberglass insulation.

Stunning car, great color.

ken
I thought about taking the entire heat shield out, and I have read many posts on members that have with no problems… but I figured I would just the rear piece. I did this so the back would be open yet I could still retain the remainder of the heat shield for some protection. Call me crazy but I figure some shielding is better than none. The heat shield that was clearly visible I painted black because I couldn’t stand the bright metal/silver look. The silver makes the existing heat shield look clearly out of place. So far I am happy and the exhaust drone is much quieter in the car. My only worry is how hot the rear clam gets on the driver side just above where the exhaust enters the muffler. I think I might get some exhaust wrap to put on this area of the exhaust and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that a titanium bike I see in the background?

PS, your car looks great
No, not titanium. All three bicycles are Cannondale. One is road bike that is carbonfiber/aluminum mix, and the other two are aluminum frame mountain bikes, one full suspension and one hard-tail. What can I say… I like cycling!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that gloss paint?
No, it is Krylon semi-gloss (on the Section 111 rear delete). The paint on the heat shield is called Krylon BBQ paint and the color says "BBQ Black". It doesn't say anything about gloss, flat, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts