The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise
384 Posts
The metal clamps are trash unless you have the tool and practice. I’m still not a fan.
Generally you want it very tight with no wrinkles in the fabric. There are a few ways to do this, but honestly practice helps the most. And just going very slow to get it right.
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,710 Posts
Very nicely done @Krazykevin , I'll have to try safety wire next time! That is VERY clean looking and no doubt that it will hold together. Probably easier to remove than the SS straps too. Bravo.

Reactions: Krazykevin

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The straps that it comes with, I never felt comfortable with. I used worm-clamps, seems to be holding. Safety wire is a good idea too.

Going slow, and going over it tightening, over and over were big helpful hints. Each time, more slack would come out, which surprised me.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Just made mine naked (and catless). Used dry titanium wrap and did the entire system from the header to the outlet. Used the s/s ties with a cheap tightening tool and it came out pretty tight and neat. Just take your time and stretch it a you go.

Bicycle part Electrical wiring Gas Plumbing Machine

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
204 Posts
Just made mine naked (and catless). Used dry titanium wrap and did the entire system from the header to the outlet. Used the s/s ties with a cheap tightening tool and it came out pretty tight and neat. Just take your time and stretch it a you go.

View attachment 1321420

View attachment 1321421
What muffler can are you running...not straight piped I assume?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Those s/s ties have worked fine for me too. I also used the cheap tool that rolls up the free end, but found that using a smallish flat head screwdriver as a lever between the locking cage and the rolled up tie wrap helps get the tie really tight. Just be careful to clip the tie short and bend it down, those cut ends are very sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Does it drone on the street?
Yes at highway speeds. It was not too bad with the Cat, but is more so now. Barks pretty good under full acceleration at the track, but is fairly quiet at lower rev's on the street. Basically I drive 10 miles to the track, instruct/drive track days and 10 miles home about a dozen days a year. Not my road trip car!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes at highway speeds. It was not too bad with the Cat, but is more so now. Barks pretty good under full acceleration at the track, but is fairly quiet at lower rev's on the street. Basically I drive 10 miles to the track, instruct/drive track days and 10 miles home about a dozen days a year. Not my road trip car!
Do you recall if you used the xMOD muffler? Claims no drone universal 2.5"/2.5" (looking to fab a dual euro muffler style)

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I believe it was their 4” x 14” round straight through performance muffler w/ 2.5 in and out. I like Magnaflow as I find them to generally have a deeper tone. This one has been on there for about 8 years of track days, so it’s probably lost a little stuffing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Not having it blow out on track!
Since I mostly drive on the track, I’m pushing a lot of fuel through the engine and thus fuel-rich exhaust through the Cat. I have blown out two in the past few years. The honeycomb just starts to disintegrate and eventually blows out the exhaust. My last one degraded more slowly and ended up turning sideways on the can and partially blocking the flow. This is really not a problem for street driving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts