The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this? Looks really simple so I am going to look into doing this. I know $85 isn't a lot of money, but for what is being accomplished, it really kind of is.

I plan to buy a few adjustable length rods or perhaps some pieces of aluminum.

I will either hold up the diffuser with the rods and make my own license plate bracket, or use the aluminum bars to create a cross beam of sorts that bolts together behind the license plate.

I have not decided yet, but figured I would ask to see if anyone had done something of the sort.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
I've seen some DIY stuff at various get togethers and some looked pretty good, better than some factory offerings but some look pretty hokey.

My main concern is if you go cheap on some stress or load bearing members, it might break off and cause more damage than if you just bought something for under $100 which is the average price anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen some DIY stuff at various get togethers and some looked pretty good, better than some factory offerings but some look pretty hokey.

My main concern is if you go cheap on some stress or load bearing members, it might break off and cause more damage than if you just bought something for under $100 which is the average price anyway.
I agree. Ive been considering adjustable length rods made of aluminum with adjustable turnbuckle ends.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Recommend the x brace. Two rods wont stop side to side movement of the diffuser. The sector 111 is an awesome piece and extremely light weight. And has predriled plate holes.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Sector 111 did it right. Support your aftermarket or it goes away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sector 111 did it right. Support your aftermarket or it goes away.
That's not how it works. Pretty sure me not buying their X brace isn't going to shut their shop down... Reductio Ad Absurdum yes, but nonetheless....

The diffuser is still held in place by the two large bolts underneath the car along with the line of bolts along the front edge of the diffuser plus a bolt on each side toward the bumper. The rods will not need to support a lot of horizontal movement, though it's something I'll look at.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts

I totally agree. Why take chances for a few bucks?

·
Registered
511 Posts
For me, I just dont like any of the options... simple.

Ill be using a small piece of Aluminum Angle to re-enforce the center of the diffuser and provide mounting points for the Plate and a set of turn-buckles that will carry to the clam above.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here is my "Kit" Didnt actually use turnbuckles as I dont need to adjust them. Cable eye ends, drilled out one side larger and tapped the other so I can use the alan bolts. Drilled holes in some Thumbscrews instead of eyelet bolts to keep them low-profile. Square rod grinded round and epoxied into place for the center. Still have to make a licence plate braket and get my new exhaust before installing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like it. I was wanting to do something very similar to that, but was having a hard time finding what I thought were the right parts. I wanted to use 4 additional shorter parts like you have there to extend off of the two uprights to hold the plate. It would give it a really cool mechanical look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts