The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, so I just swapped back to stock exhaust from the Larini Sport, twin tips exiting through the diffuser panel (incidentally, this will be for sale at some point) and I'm having trouble figuring out the hardware for the stock panels. Specifically, are these "nutplates" the correct part? They came with the car (box of spares and extras) and it looks based on the microfiche images as if it's the correct part, but when I test fit them they look huge, and look like they would rub on the exhaust heat shield. Would like to get the panel properly secured to prevent any vibration / rubbing against the paint/clamshell. Sorry, no pic of holdling the nutplate in place, so hopefully the two pics I provided are enough...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I think I confirmed this is the part that I think it is!

Totally looks like it will rattle against the heat shield, but maybe I'll just bend the heat shield a little bit out of the way...

·
Registered
2005 Elise
102 Posts
Those are the correct part, but they do not go in that location. On mine, these are used at location #8.

·
Administrator
1,451 Posts
Part at location 8 is a M5 spire nut

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey folks, so I had found this nutplate in the attached diagram, #42, but the problem is that when I go to put these parts in that location, it looks awkward or "wrong" and also it looks like they would bang into the exhaust heat shield. There's not a ton of space. Couldn't find a good photo of this area online, hence the thread :)

·
Administrator
1,451 Posts
I remember coming across the nutplate when installing headers and removing heat shield and installing panel eliminator. It’s inside of clam and spreads the load. I don’t remember how many I had and if I wasn’t still healing from knee replacement three weeks ago I would go take photo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it out! I had the correct part in the correct location, but a previous owner had installed a bunch of heat shielding on the inside of the clam, and that was interfering with how the nutplates are supposed to fit. A bit of trimming of the heat shield and all is well. Thanks for the responses, folks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Larini was too loud for me. Wanted it swapped quick so I could drive the car more ;)

And yeah, gotta take advantage of that new car energy/motivation. Get everything done pronto!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts