The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I did some search and I guess it is somewhat common for pads to have uneven wear...

well, my car has around 12000 miles and the car has never been tracked (even still on stock tires). I noticed that the rear right brake pad is REALLY worn out versus the other side. Almost 1/5 of the Rear Left pad.

What could be causing this? and should I simply purchase pads and change that side out or both? The Rear Left pad looks almost brand new....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It might be possible that the right rear pads are dragging when the car is in motion because the emergency brake is out of adjustment. It may have come from the factory that way if you are the first owner and know the car's usage and service history. (The factory alignment of my Exige ate the rear AO48s in the first 1,500 miles.)

You might be able to measure the setting (76 mm) of the caliper park brake lever on each side without removing the engine service panel. Getting to / inspecting the cable adjusters will require removal of the engine service panel. Refer to the Lotus Service manual, brake section, for details. Otherwise, you might consider taking into your Lotus dealership for possible warranty coverage.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be possible that the right rear pads are dragging when the car is in motion because the emergency brake is out of adjustment. It may have come from the factory that way if you are the first owner and know the car's usage and service history. (The factory alignment of my Exige ate the rear AO48s in the first 1,500 miles.)

You might be able to measure the setting (76 mm) of the caliper park brake lever on each side without removing the engine service panel. Getting to / inspecting the cable adjusters will require removal of the engine service panel. Refer to the Lotus Service manual, brake section, for details. Otherwise, you might consider taking into your Lotus dealership for possible warranty coverage.
Thank you. Unfortunately the closest dealer is in Atlanta (4 hours away) but I do have warranty so I may try to use that while I can.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You never stated whether or not it was the RR inboard pad or the outboard pad. If both pads are worn (inboard/outboard) then the parking brake adjustment would be high on the list of causes. If it's just the inboard pad then you could have a stuck caliper bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts