The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Rev300, Chrome Orange
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and chatting with folks about stereo upgrades and mine is nearly done. I have read many people say that the rear speaker change has not done much for them. I just changed mine out and the difference was huge. I took the advice of one member and dynomated the rear wall and under the seats to get rid of some of the engine vibration.(big change). I also dynomatted the rear plastic shelf piecemon the back side for subwoofer vibration. I noticed the rear foam did not leave much airspace for the speakers. Most speakers go in doors or other larger air spaced areas. I removed the foam directly behind the rear speakers a little wider than the speaker hole width. I did not take pics, but admittedly did not do it neatly. I also did not try my new speakers with the foam for comparison. I put in alpine type r speakers and a pdx-v9 amp. The sound is clean and rich. At half volume and 65 miles per hour there is no wind noise with the top off and pure clean sound.

For good measure I added the carbon sub box and a kicker rt sub. The sub is decent, but not like my old jl-10w6. I had to also Dynomat the interior of the sub box as it caused initial rattling. I really hate the front right passenger seat bolt and hope I never have to pull it again. I'm sure You all know what I mean.

I just need to get some fronts to balance out the sound field.

Anyhow if your rears sound flat, the foam behind them may be why.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You may be right as i didnt remove the foam. But try putting in 5.25's in the front to balance things out

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I removed the foam directly behind the rear speakers a little wider than the speaker hole width
I also did this, but my rear's are 6.5 subs. I need to do the dynomatted for the rattle sound but I love the sound I created from the upgrade. I also have the CF sub box. I also want to relocate the interior alarm sensor as the box covers it. Though if anyone tries to take that sub out, they are going to get a hell of a shock to the ears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts