The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2012 Evora S came from the dealer with two problems, the cruise control not working as well as the rear subwoofer. I found and fixed the cruise control problem but still trying to find the problem with the subwoofer.

I have thoroughly read the Pioneer owners manual and am sure the subwoofer is turned "on" at the head unit, the audio menu allows you to turn the sub on and off and set the frequency for it. I get no sound from the sub, so it could be a connection at the radio, at the speaker itself or some other problem like a fuse, although I see no fuse for the subwoofer circuit. If it is a connection, from the looks of it, it looks like the right quarter panel would have to come off in order to get to the speaker, unless it could be accessed from under the car? I'm hoping the problem is something simple I'm unaware of? Has anybody else encountered the rear subwoofer not working?

Thanks,
EFE EVS

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,483 Posts
I had the same issue. My sub-w amp had a blown internal fuse. Once replaced (under warranty) everything was fine and the sub sounds great.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I posted a few days ago about how to reassign the output but from the factory it it wired up to the rear speaker output. All the rest are wired to the front. Make sure it isnt faded all the way to the front. While you are in there, fade it all the way to the rear to make absolutely sure no sound comes from the sub. When you get it fixed reassign the rear output and it will sound much better.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link! I did try panning just to the rear and it is dead. I'm in the audio business and just needed to know where the amp for the sub is. The link was helpful and now I know the sub amp is behind the subwoofer and how to disassemble the rear seat and side panel to get to it. As soon as I fix this, everything will be perfect! :nanner:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Thanks for the link! I did try panning just to the rear and it is dead. I'm in the audio business and just needed to know where the amp for the sub is. The link was helpful and now I know the sub amp is behind the subwoofer and how to disassemble the read seat and side panel to get to it. As soon as I fix this, everything will be perfect! :nanner:
NO NO NO
Everything is never "Perfect"
once you get everything where you want it you will say to yourself "now how can I make it better?"
maybe a new exhaust?
new pulley?
Have to have that CAI
Maybe I should add the black package to get the sport racer look?
should I do a tune?
should I take her out and race her?
and the list grows from there, but it is a great journey :cool:

Evora fever! catch it!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
NO NO NO
Everything is never "Perfect"
once you get everything where you want it you will say to yourself "now how can I make it better?"
maybe a new exhaust?
new pulley?
Have to have that CAI
Maybe I should add the black package to get the sport racer look?
should I do a tune?
should I take her out and race her?
and the list grows from there, but it is a great journey :cool:

Evora fever! catch it!
Very true!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been there, done that already guys, I had a C6 Z06 for the last seven years and ya can't go much faster than that. I bought this car to just drive and enjoy, I could build it up and spend thousands of dollars and still never have the power and speed my Z06 had. Nope, not going to change one thing on this car, it has killer looks and drives like a precision instrument, I'm just going to enjoy driving it, thanks! :nanner2:

:wave:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Mine wasn't working either. I swapped it for a Kenwood 8" competition sub and added an amp in the trunk. Sounds like ****, mainly because the idiot who built the box within the wall didn't give enough space for the exursion of the sub, so it slaps the wood frame at loud volumes. If anyone's in Montreal, stay away from Fortin Audio. Bunch of amateurs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Removed the rear seat and all the associated panels to get to the subwoofer and amp (don't want to do that again :crazyeyes). First I checked the driver itself to see if it was good and it was. Then went to the amp and found the amp fuse blown and thought this is going to be an easy fix, not so fortunate. Replaced the fuse (20 amp) and turned the system on, still didn't work. The amp is getting power but has no output, bummer! Put it all back together and will have to have the dealer fix it along with a dead side fender light when I go in for the first oil change. Get those fixed and everything will finally work as a new car should. :huh: Thanks for the link that showed how to disassemble the panels, I had to go to Harbor Freight Tools to pick up those special tools ($6.99) to remove the plastic snap rivets, I wouldn't recommend anybody trying to remove those panels without the right tools!

The radio has enough bass without the sub but I'll assume it sounds better when it's working.

:UK:

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
You don't have a lift with 33 donk wheels yet, when you get that the woofer works and your trunk vibrates!

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,483 Posts
It will sound so much more full in the cockpit once you get it working. It will fill in the sound behind your head more. Mine was some internal short in the amp itself and would re-blow the fuse. They replaced the amp.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Removed the rear seat and all the associated panels to get to the subwoofer and amp (don't want to do that again :crazyeyes). First I checked the driver itself to see if it was good and it was. Then went to the amp and found the amp fuse blown and thought this is going to be an easy fix, not so fortunate. Replaced the fuse (20 amp) and turned the system on, still didn't work. The amp is getting power but has no output, bummer! Put it all back together and will have to have the dealer fix it along with a dead side fender light when I go in for the first oil change. Get those fixed and everything will finally work as a new car should. :huh: Thanks for the link that showed how to disassemble the panels, I had to go to Harbor Freight Tools to pick up those special tools ($6.99) to remove the plastic snap rivets, I wouldn't recommend anybody trying to remove those panels without the right tools!

The radio has enough bass without the sub but I'll assume it sounds better when it's working.

:UK:
Sounds like a nice car. I am interested to see what you think of the sound quality once it is fixed. One question, Is your car a stick or IPS? Going from the Vette with the six speed stick, and now the Evora. I was wondering what you thought of the gear box? I have driven a few Vettes and liked there gear box.
Ron:shift:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 6 speed manual trans, is there any other kind of trans to have in a sports car?? ;) I like the close ratio of the Evora gear ratios but the shifter leaves much to be desired. You just can't speed shift the Lotus with it's cable linkage like you can the Z06. If I could recommend one improvement on the Evora, it would be to design solid linkage from the shifter to the transmission. The new Corvettes have made the gear ratios closer and from all I've read, the new 2015 Z06 will have an even better close ration 7 speed manual trans and for the first time, an 8 speed automatic. Pretty impressive considering it will be pushing 630 to 650HP! :crazyeyes

The reason I decided not to wait and buy a new Z06 is because GM has betrayed the American public who bailed them out of bankruptcy. They are closing down manufacturing plants world wide and have opened eleven (11) new plants in China, the CEO actually bragged about building 70% of all their cars in China now. This is how GM pays back the US citizens for saving them from going under, they can keep their new Corvettes even if they are still made here in the US.

I'm hoping Lotus will grow and accomplish their goals of producing the five new models they presented at the European Car Show, and perhaps they can improve their production facilities and bring down the costs of their cars, that will draw a lot more American buyers. ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have a 6 speed manual trans, is there any other kind of trans to have in a sports car?? ;) I like the close ratio of the Evora gear ratios but the shifter leaves much to be desired. You just can't speed shift the Lotus with it's cable linkage like you can the Z06. If I could recommend one improvement on the Evora, it would be to design solid linkage from the shifter to the transmission. The new Corvettes have made the gear ratios closer and from all I've read, the new 2015 Z06 will have an even better close ration 7 speed manual trans and for the first time, an 8 speed automatic. Pretty impressive considering it will be pushing 630 to 650HP! :crazyeyes

The reason I decided not to wait and buy a new Z06 is because GM has betrayed the American public who bailed them out of bankruptcy. They are closing down manufacturing plants world wide and have opened eleven (11) new plants in China, the CEO actually bragged about building 70% of all their cars in China now. This is how GM pays back the US citizens for saving them from going under, they can keep their new Corvettes even if they are still made here in the US.

I'm hoping Lotus will grow and accomplish their goals of producing the five new models they presented at the European Car Show, and perhaps they can improve their production facilities and bring down the costs of their cars, that will draw a lot more American buyers. ;)

I agree with all of your points. All of my cars are sticks and always have been. In fact I am waiting for the F-Type coupe with a stick, it should be out in about a year. On the GM plants, you are correct. That is why I have a new Ford Fiesta ST as my DD. I also had Ford stock for many years. They did not take any bailout $.
Ron

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I owned a Fiesta a few years ago and enjoyed it, I bought a new Hyundai Elantra in 2012 for a run around car and like it. If the new Fiesta had been out when I bought the Elantra I definitely would have bought it, I really like the looks of the Fiesta and every owner I've spoken with tells me they get great gas mileage (around 30 in the city). The Elantra is a fun car but gets disappointing gas mileage, I seldom get over 25mpg in the city and 35 on the hwy, otherwise I like the car.

The new 2015 Mustang is going to be the absolute best Mustang Ford has ever built, everything I've read about it is positive. Finally going to full independent suspension, lightening the car and offering around 450 hp will make it a best buy!

I was trying to decide whether to wait another year to purchase a sports car, 2015 may be bringing us a number of hot 2 seat cars. The new Acura NXS will be out, a new Toyota Supra may arrive, a new Nissan 370ZX is due to be revealed and Hyundai and KIA may introduce new sports cars, even Honda is talking about a S2000 replacement.

Don't get me wrong, the Evora S is a great car but Lotus needs to plant more dealers across the US and bring the MSRP down a little if they want the American public to buy their cars. Fortunately I found my brand new 2012 S in the color I wanted and at a price I thought was good, I would have never paid the retail price for it or a new 2013 or 14. I did find some good prices on a couple of new 2013 Evora's at a dealer in Philly, but it was just a little higher than I wanted to pay for a new car that has limited dealerships. The closest Lotus dealer to me is 200 miles away in Las Vegas and I'll have to drive there in a couple of weeks to have my first oil change and subwoofer and fender light fixed. So far I love the car and can't believe how much attention it draws everywhere I go!

:D

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,483 Posts
I agree with all of your points. All of my cars are sticks and always have been. In fact I am waiting for the F-Type coupe with a stick, it should be out in about a year. On the GM plants, you are correct. That is why I have a new Ford Fiesta ST as my DD. I also had Ford stock for many years. They did not take any bailout $.
Ron
I used to work with Mullaly here at Boeing and he would also come to our family's frame shop. Pretty animated guy. He's the man!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By the way Ron, if that new F-Type Coupe had come out in the last two months I probably would have been tempted to buy one, what an absolute gorgeous car! Jag is trying to make a comeback and the cars they are producing now are causing all the magazine reviewers to just rave about them. I just read several of the latest reviews on the F-Type Coupe, they love it! The convertible is beautiful also, the local dealer down in Phoenix has a bunch of them and I was even tempted to go for one of them but I'm glad I waited and bought the Lotus. What color Coupe are you waiting for? :)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I have a 6 speed manual trans, is there any other kind of trans to have in a sports car?? ;)

the new P car manuals now do the down shift rev for you; i can't see getting a manual if you get stuck with electronics like that - the auto at least still lets you left foot brake:)

not fighting the issue though - just frustrated that they think if you buy a manual you want some computer taking your downshift away - at least Lotus won't do that for a bit as they don't have enough cash for the R & D.

btw - my test drive of the manaul Evora wa fun - much better than my research had set me up to believe.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts