The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum - can't find a replacement part number etc - would like to avoid the Lotus dealer if possible. One of my three plastic tire well shield screws would not come out - I wound up prying it out and ruining it. Is there a trick to getting these things out when they just keep spinning??? Is there a better replacement available. I'd like to be able to access the air box without dealing with this issue. Has anyone else had this problem or am I now officially a tart? TIA - john.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You gotta work on them, yes, they can be a pain.
I replaced the ones that fell out with Napa P/N 665-2417 Push type rivets
BALKAMP

·
Registered
7,088 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
wellnut....the solution.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wellnuts. Can be found at your local hardware store or at McMaster-Carr part number 93495A130. Part number on the Wellnuts is C-832. Use 8-32 X 3/4" long machine screws and a fender washer of your choosing.

Here ya go: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/wheel-liners-falling-out-36234/?highlight=wellnuts
You rock - that's exactly what I need and it will hold so much better than the stock - gonna do the whole car since I had to order a box of 25 - I can just reuse the stock steel washers correct? - john.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I'm not sure if you found a solution for your problem yet.
If none of the above mentioned solutions work, then I'm sure that Wellnuts will solve the issue...:D:D:D

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
You rock - that's exactly what I need and it will hold so much better than the stock - gonna do the whole car since I had to order a box of 25 - I can just reuse the stock steel washers correct? - john.
Hey John,

Sorry, but I couldn't resist...;)
But to answer your question: there are no steel washers installed on the stock push type rivets (at least not as "stock").
You'll need to add some washers in order to hold the wheel liner in place...

Steve

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
wellnut....the solution.
+1, I used it for all 4 liners and since I've been driving the car - I can say that as an added benefit to having peace of mind that you liner won't fall out it sure seems like there are a lot less rattles . :)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
WELL nuts and FENDER washers. Duh. Why do you think they're called WELL nuts and FENDER washers?

xtn

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am glad someone else had this problem. I was begining to think it was
just me. I will definately try this as well. Of course now I need to find a
replacement front wheel liner as mine came loose. during a weekend trip
on the interstate. of all places. The tire of course chewed itway through most of the liner. Does Home Depot carry the wheel liners as well?
Seriously where does one go to find a cheap wheel well replacement liner.
Hate spending top dollar for such a crappy part.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey John,

Sorry, but I couldn't resist...;)
But to answer your question: there are no steel washers installed on the stock push type rivets (at least not as "stock").
You'll need to add some washers in order to hold the wheel liner in place...

Steve
There are steel washers in my car - they must have added them for the 08 exiges - john.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WELL nuts and FENDER washers. Duh. Why do you think they're called WELL nuts and FENDER washers?

xtn
Sorry to be so obtuse - maybe, oh God of Cars, you can explain why my car has steel washers from the factory and your's doesn't? But I guess no one here has an 08 or they would know that there are already steel washers on all the plastic fasteners of which there are only three in each rear well. There are two additional steel philips head screws and one additional hex screw - these, believe it or not, also have washers and, wait a minute, they're made of some ferrous metal too!!!! Thanks for the help - john.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts