The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've removed my toelinks to put the RTV brace on...now it's been over a year since I've done that, but the crossmember (where the toe link joint butts up against) has protruding flats above and below the hole. There's a protruding bit on the toelink that slots into these flats and locates the toelink where the bolt passes through the crossmember, control arm, and out the other side. Since I can see these flats, I would guess that the nut is starting to back off on the front side of the C/M. If I were you, I would get the undertray off and have a look. Before tightening it up (if infact it's loose), I would remove it entirely and make sure there isn't excessive wear on the bolt. Make sure you check the opposite side of the car, too.

- Allen.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got underneath and took a closer look today. Everything seems ok - a little grease may have leaked, but no cracks or splits. Everything was snug but the bolts needed just a hair of torque to get them up to 50.

Thanks,

John

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
Wow that is DIRTY :eek:

Mine are leaking a little grease also... but they look almost new otherwise. These toe-link joints can move if you just grab it with your hand. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it has the proper torque on the nut behind it.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Wow that is DIRTY :eek:
You have to realize that John drives his car all year long and this is what the underside of a car driven for even a short period of time on the salted down roads in WI looks like.

Kudos to John for not being afraid to take his car out for a spin during the winter! :clap:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to fess up. With a suspended license :mad: I put her on storage insurance and have her up on blocks for some maintenance and other stuff for now. Soon though. These past few days of warm weather have been real tough.

edit: maybe I'll clean the toe links!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
On blocks? I hope that's just a figure of speech and you're not letting the suspension really hang.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You have to realize that John drives his car all year long and this is what the underside of a car driven for even a short period of time on the salted down roads in WI looks like.

Kudos to John for not being afraid to take his car out for a spin during the winter! :clap:
yea, I noticed that too and it looks like the salt is doing it's magic, that is the biggest issue with winter driving, is the salt that gets inside the under tray and continues to corrode the aluminum.

With all the nooks and crannies on these cars it is impossible to stop this if your state uses salt on the roads...

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the joint is leaking grease then it's probably time to change it.

It will soon lose all the grease and it will then tighten up and that's what leads to it failing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.