The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I'm installing the Sector111 DSBrace kit and one of my rear toe link boots is torn. I'd really rather not have to replace the whole thing for just a rubber boot. I don't have a press to remove it or replace it.

I'd much rather just replace the boot, I've searched and can't find any source for it. I found a previous thread where someone says they should be considered consumable, and are easy to replace, and another thread that says don't replace the link, just the boot.

I just can't find a part number or source....I know tons of people got in on that DSBrace group buy way back, am I the only one with a torn boot?

Jeff

·
Registered
424 Posts
You have to remove the link in order to replace the rubber boot. There is a retaining clip around the rubber boot. It is easy to remove but PITA to put back, I nick the replacement rubber boot in the process:mad:. Ended up putting a new link.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to remove the link in order to replace the rubber boot. There is a retaining clip around the rubber boot. It is easy to remove but PITA to put back, I nick the replacement rubber boot in the process:mad:. Ended up putting a new link.
That kind of sucks, where did you get the rubber boot you used to replace?

Seems like I may just have to suck it up and buy a couple of new toelinks at $70 a pop. But I'd still much rather just replace a boot if it is possible.

·
Registered
424 Posts
First one wast used links from used parts Sector 111 was selling in the for sale section here. My outer toe link had only 5k miles and that's why I figured to replace the rubber boot only. It is quite possible to replace the boot but you will need to be careful of the ends of the retaining clip. The retaining clp is like a key ring but the ends are not rounded off.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I gave up my search and ordered a couple of links from Sector 111. Such is the life of a Lotus owner. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Measure the toe link shaft and housing diameters, then order a boot that fits. They are available from multiple retail auto parts stores and directly from the replacement boot manufacturers. I measured and looked these up for track-rod-end (steering) and ball joint boots (and will post the results soon in another thread I started a few weeks ago), but it can apply to toe-link as well. It doesn't matter if the web page for the product says ball joint, tie-rod, toe-link or track-rod end (they are all ball joints). All that matters are the dimensions.

Some boot suppliers:
energysuspension.com | Tie Rod & Ball Joint Boots
Prothane | Polyurethane Bushings and Polyurethane Automotive Performance Products
Ball Joint Boots

Also available at online retailers. Just a couple here. Try your favorite auto parts websites. They will usually carry either energysuspension or prothane (which I think are actually identical).
Suspension Restoration Parts Co. - Polyurethane ball joint boots and tie-rod boots. (sells above Energy Suspension products, but has extra info)
Energy Suspension Tie Rod Boots & Ball Joint Boots - JEGS

I also repaired my split steering track-rod end boots using Toyota FIPG (form in place gasket), the stuff used to seal the oil pan to the engine. The repair seems to be working well so far (1.5 weeks). I'll write up tips on that soon in my other thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts