The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ever since I first worked on my Elise, I noticed that one of the two large undertray bolts in the rear felt like someone had stripped it out in the past (the M8x1.25 bolt). You can hear it rattle at idle sometimes and when you tighten it, you can feel it skip and pop back out with very little torque. I figured I would use a threaded insert and be done with it. But yesterday when I went back under the car, I realized that the bolts were threading into plastic inserts that are already there. Is that typical for an Elise? Is there a name I can use to find replacements? Is there a guideline/procedure for replacing these? Thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,126 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info! those seem perfect! I just ordered a set. A tad more than I was expecting to spend but if this solves the problem for good, I'll be happy.

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
That plastic definitely looks like an attempt to "fix" the stripped threads of the original metal insert.

Looking at the V2subFIX, how securely will the rivets withstand pulling loads from the downforce generated?

·
Registered
739 Posts
That plastic definitely looks like an attempt to "fix" the stripped threads of the original metal insert.

Looking at the V2subFIX, how securely will the rivets withstand pulling loads from the downforce generated?
It doesn't say how large the rivets are, but they look good sized; four per bolt should be fine as long as the rivets are installed properly.

The repair can also be done by just replacing the stock rivnuts, there are several threads describing the repair (search for "spinning diffuser bolts").

HTH, -Ed

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
The rivets are quite adequate. The fun part is drilling that steel cross member to accept the repair pieces. It has been years but I remember thinking how it was a bit (pun) like my day job (Dentist) but on a MUCH bigger scale. That steel is tough and fairly thick. It makes a bunch of noise. I used a hammer drill.

When you get in there you will see why the OEM part fails. Plus we probably tighten those bolts a lot. Need to. I actually had some work loose on track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The drilling shouldn't be too bad. I've done similar on my other cars. And I have a pop-rivet tool so I'll be all set to install it. How thick is the cross member? I know some of the larger drills don't fit in my chuck. I might have to use a step drill.

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts
Here's video on the V2

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts
Reactions: Turbopun
1 - 9 of 9 Posts