The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I purchased my 08 Exige a few months ago I decided it needed a rear view camera, having driven it, I’ve become used to using the side mirrors and found that the camera isn’t essential but occasionally useful. I was looking for a relatively low cost option and tried a 3:4 ratio 5” Screen (which I didn’t like) before settling on a Viskoo 7” wide 1080P screen & camera from Amazon. The form factor is pretty close to the original mirror and mounts in the same place. To be fair the view comes with the caveat that “objects in the rear view camera are closer than they appear“ but otherwise it works well and compliments the side mirrors to entirely remove blind spots and is great for backing out of parking spaces between larger vehicles. I mounted the camera under the rear wing for the closest approximation to the view from the original mirror but in time I’ll likely acquire a Spare central brake light and modify that to accept the camera.
The kit is designed for RVs so it comes with a ridiculous length of cable but I just coiled the excess in the trunk and the power supply plugs into the 12V outlet after running the cables around the screen and along the sill.

Amazon.com: FHD 1080P Backup Camera and 7 inch Monitor kit for Truck/car/Pickup/rv/Trailer/SUV HD Rear or Front Camera with 49ft Long Cable: Car Electronics

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree rear view camera is not essential. I had one (on-demand) installed on top of my rear license plate since I got the car. I rarely turn it on. I use side mirrors and I just move my head around to see the back and blind spots. you need to adjust the sides at the correct angles to get all the views. exception of course being in a tight underlit garage where I use it for parking

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I purchased my 08 Exige a few months ago I decided it needed a rear view camera, having driven it, I’ve become used to using the side mirrors and found that the camera isn’t essential but occasionally useful. I was looking for a relatively low cost option and tried a 3:4 ratio 5” Screen (which I didn’t like) before settling on a Viskoo 7” wide 1080P screen & camera from Amazon. The form factor is pretty close to the original mirror and mounts in the same place. To be fair the view comes with the caveat that “objects in the rear view camera are closer than they appear“ but otherwise it works well and compliments the side mirrors to entirely remove blind spots and is great for backing out of parking spaces between larger vehicles. I mounted the camera under the rear wing for the closest approximation to the view from the original mirror but in time I’ll likely acquire a Spare central brake light and modify that to accept the camera.
The kit is designed for RVs so it comes with a ridiculous length of cable but I just coiled the excess in the trunk and the power supply plugs into the 12V outlet after running the cables around the screen and along the sill. View attachment 1265722 View attachment 1265723

Amazon.com: FHD 1080P Backup Camera and 7 inch Monitor kit for Truck/car/Pickup/rv/Trailer/SUV HD Rear or Front Camera with 49ft Long Cable: Car Electronics

View attachment 1265726
Hi,

What kind of bracket did you use to mount the screen on the windshield?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice - I got the same unit for the 07 exige S I got a couple weeks ago. I thought I'd refer to it more often, but after getting used to the multivex mirrors, I only look at the viskoo when reversing out of a parking spot.

Big plus for me was that this camera unit has one wire for power+signal, versus having to tap a power source in the back. Easy to install!
View attachment 1272860
Hey, you must be Ray! I ended up getting the same kit that you recommended via Facebook, but am thinking of placing this in lieu of my rear view mirror to minimize whatever needs to be in an already small car, hence the inquiry. Your setup still looks dope, but I think it would be helpful to be able to see what’s behind without taking my eyes off the road looking down. But obviously that’s completely subjective. Oh, and one more thing - I can’t see anything behind me at night with my side mirrors while driving, and am hoping the camera will help. How is it for night driving?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, it's me Ray, haha! Good to see you here!

At night, it's only useful to tell if there is nobody behind you, or someone (one or more) is - that's about it. The car's headlights bloom and halo and obscure the actual details quite a bit.

Other thing to mention is that the camera is a pretty "wide" angle, so any object more than 3-5 feet away becomes tiny, very quickly. The rear view mirror may be a great location as it'll be closer to your face and you'll be able to see these smaller details quickly! me with my old peepers, as cool as it looks in the dash binnacle, it is harder to make out smaller objects at a quick glance... 👴
If that’s the case I am thinking about foregoing the independent rear view camera completely and just using the following: KD-X560BT|Marine / MotorSports|JVC USA - Products -

If all I am going to be looking at is vague/small appearances to merely confirm whether there is an object behind me I am thinking the 3” display may be enough for that task. As mentioned previously, this may be the only way to achieve my minimalist goals for the clean look. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Will do. Someone on this forum has already done it. I am going to try to find a matching trim so it’s flush.
And this is not a flip up, but a single din with a larger lcd then is placed downwards which eliminates that problem.
1st world problems...

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ah nice!! That should work great, let me know how the install goes and ends up looking. I've heard that some flip out screens can hit the windshield wiper stalk, and some shorten or order shorter replacements to clear the screen?
As promised, here are the photos of the finished product.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think so. I thought about buying an adapter for enabling carplay wirelessly but since my main objective was to use the screen as a rear view mirror (and to detect blind spots) so I don't think I will be using the carplay function much.

Being able to see behind (and the left/right lates) me while driving and backing up to me is a huge relief, and for that purpose this is a total winner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts