The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our new to us 2005 Elise yesterday. The rearview mirror had fallen off the windshield and the mirror itself was detached from the pivot ball. So a couple questions:

1. If you were starting from scratch, what would you put back on the windshield for a rearview mirror? We had this car for a few years while the owner was overseas and my wife was fine with the stock mirror, I found it a bit large...I'm 6', she is 5'5".

2. Is the mirror mounted in the center of the windshield? The bit of residue left on the glass where the mount had depart is slightly right of center. From what appears on the glass I suspect it had been glued back to the windshield, so I'm wondering if it had been reinstalled incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Ken

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The OEM rearview mirror placement is slightly off-center. Just add that to the list of cool things that make this car special.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
214 Posts
Allot of people like the micro mirror. I wanted to keep the day night function and went with a VW Beetle mirror, part number 98-8579. You'll have to use the stock ball end stalk from the windshield to the mirror. It's smaller than stock, bigger than the micro mirror and only $40.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
340 Posts
Allot of people like the micro mirror. I wanted to keep the day night function and went with a VW Beetle mirror, part number 98-8579. You'll have to use the stock ball end stalk from the windshield to the mirror. It's smaller than stock, bigger than the micro mirror and only $40.
I just did this mod - Went with Micro Mirror. It is small and takes a few hours to get used to but during my 300 mile trip, I got used to it just fine.

Can't speak to the day/night function but I found the stock mirror (day or night setting) less than helpful with rear headlights due to seating height relative to the ground.

·
Registered
802 Posts
the stock mirror (it appears to be from a general motors parts bin - there is "GM" branding on it) is ridiculous.

i have the Micro Mirror too. love the size and shape - it just covers the available view when looking back, and it being very elliptical somehow fits the elise design so well.

you have to be able to tolerate the full direct reflection of headlights from the cars behind you. i am ok with that. i find it easy to look away.

if you are installing it yourself, be careful: i introduced a little crack in the windshield when installing it (or was it when taking the old one off? - can't remember).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts