The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rotate the mirror down and pop the mirror pivot ball out of its socket. Slip a small flat screwdriver under the pivot ball bezel and lift to remove the bezel. To remove the pivot ball pull the top clip toward the rear of the car and slide the pivot ball down toward the dash.
Now I am at a stopping point since I don't know if prying the mirror attaching plate off of the windshield will crack it... I tried to slip a razor blade under it to delaminate it from the windshield but it was too closely attached..
Any help would be appreciated...
I bought an Audi TT mirror to install but would like to install it in the very same location. :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
perryeyges said:
Rotate the mirror down and pop the mirror pivot ball out of its socket. Slip a small flat screwdriver under the pivot ball bezel and lift to remove the bezel. To remove the pivot ball pull the top clip toward the rear of the car and slide the pivot ball down toward the dash.
Now I am at a stopping point since I don't know if prying the mirror attaching plate off of the windshield will crack it... I tried to slip a razor blade under it to delaminate it from the windshield but it was too closely attached..
Any help would be appreciated...
I bought an Audi TT mirror to install but would like to install it in the very same location. :D
Don't try to yank the attaching plate off the windshield, You'll rip a chunk of glass on the inside and probably crack the windshield, the windshield glass is really thin and light.
Don't ask how I know about that!:mad:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've had luck removing similar things using kevlar thread.

Just loop it around the contact patch, tie each end to a dowel or screwdriver and start 'sawing' with a back and forth motion.

It disintegrates the adhesive pad as it cuts through and leaves you with a removed mirror and a patch of goo stuck to the windshield that can be razored or dissolved with GooGone or citrus oil.

If you need a length of kevlar thread, just PM me your address. I have plenty.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Okay, Kevlar thread all gone.

Anyone who PM'd a request with address before 13:30 10/18 has incoming postal mail. Should be enough there to remove a whole warehouse of mirrors.

It's 135# test, but thin enough to really get into the adhesive pad and shred it. Post your success/failure reports if you try it, since I intend to follow the same path someday.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So did anyone try this method of removal yet? I'm just afraid the sawing action can scratch the windshield.

I was told you can use a blow dryer/heat gun and heat the metal plate up to 180F and carefully twist it off. Doesn't seem very safe.

Who has removed their mirror and what method did you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm curious too.. anyone try it?

The kevlar isn't abrasive -- pretty soft tiny strands -- so I'd be surprised if it could scratch the windshield.

Besides, the 'sawing' would be up against the mirror mount, and the thread would likely never touch the concave windshield. You can tell because after removal, there is still half of the adhesive pad stuck to the windshield that needs to be rubbed off... no bare glass like you would get with a razor.

But experience is everything, so someone post if it worked out alright. :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
OK I tried it last night and the Kevlar thread method does not work. There simply isn't enough space between the metal mounting plate and windshield.

This is how I removed mine.
-Heat the metal mounting plate with a hair dryer up to 180 F
-Use a razor to score the edges
-Heat it up again if it has significantly cooled
-With some paint thinner on a q-tip, dab the edges. As the metal cools it draws the paint thinner into any small crevices and it starts to loosen.
-Repeat the steps above and eventually it almost falls off.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but on a related note, does anyone know if ALL auto-dimming mirrors require an power soure? Or, is it just mirrors with electronic features like compasses, temperature gauges, lights, etc.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
...or just wait untill it falls of in typical Lotus fashion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts