The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've had luck removing similar things using kevlar thread.

Just loop it around the contact patch, tie each end to a dowel or screwdriver and start 'sawing' with a back and forth motion.

It disintegrates the adhesive pad as it cuts through and leaves you with a removed mirror and a patch of goo stuck to the windshield that can be razored or dissolved with GooGone or citrus oil.

If you need a length of kevlar thread, just PM me your address. I have plenty.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Okay, Kevlar thread all gone.

Anyone who PM'd a request with address before 13:30 10/18 has incoming postal mail. Should be enough there to remove a whole warehouse of mirrors.

It's 135# test, but thin enough to really get into the adhesive pad and shred it. Post your success/failure reports if you try it, since I intend to follow the same path someday.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm curious too.. anyone try it?

The kevlar isn't abrasive -- pretty soft tiny strands -- so I'd be surprised if it could scratch the windshield.

Besides, the 'sawing' would be up against the mirror mount, and the thread would likely never touch the concave windshield. You can tell because after removal, there is still half of the adhesive pad stuck to the windshield that needs to be rubbed off... no bare glass like you would get with a razor.

But experience is everything, so someone post if it worked out alright. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts