The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are you guys doing with it to keep it from bouncing all over? Drives me bananas when images in it are a blur. What are you doing to it to keep it stable or are you just living with it?

Only thing I can think of is to wedge something between it and the windshield.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
do you mean the interior one? If so mine did that too. Shoved a round piece of rubber between it and the windshield. FIXED

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Every time I look in the mirror I feel like a bobble head...

·
Cal H
982 Posts
You are supposed to have a short tubular piece that has a rubber pad that rests against the windscreen. When the rubber shrinks I think the tubular piece falls off and most is just lift with a little nub in back of the mirror.

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
The vibrating mirrors are the one thing that bugs me the most with the Esprit. I stuck a small round furniture pad on the windshield where the rubber pointy thing is supposed to rest. It helps a little but I think another one will do the job better.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,428 Posts
One thing that works to steady the mirror against the glass is a vacuum cap. You know, the bullet-shaped thingies that seal vacuum outlets (on 4 cyl Esprits, many have them on the EBPV vacuum port).

The pic is from the webpage of Advance Auto Parts... :up:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Showed up at Gonzo's today to have him look at my passenger window and he busts out the vacuum plugs that Atwell was talking about.

Good looking out! Problem solved.

·
Banned
938 Posts
So...is the vibration due to an awful mount that needs more support than other cars because it doesnt isolate the cars vibrations or is the car that shakey?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
the mount is thin pot metal, on along cantilevered arm, bolted to the leather head liner.

Eventually the thin metal cracks and the vibrations get worse.

The rubber vacuum cap either damps the vibration and stiffens the end of the arm by pressing against the glass.

Filling the metal mount with epoxy both damps it and stiffens it as well. My Esprit mirror now vibrates less than my Acura's.

·
Banned
938 Posts
The mirror to my car I found in the g box.
I figured it had a flange on the left and righ side. Gone.
The structure is made of ****e cast metal and could not be any thicker than .075".
Why couldnt Lotus just make a normal mirror without the three point support like any other Trabant?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,428 Posts
Why couldnt Lotus just make a normal mirror without the three point support like any other Trabant?
LOL

I'm sure they bought the mirrors at the lowest possible price.

At least, they are day/night mirrors. My DD in the '80s didn't even have that!

My mirror shook bad when I first got the car. It shook worse after I loosened the mounting bolts trying to adjust it, and I lost the nylock nuts inside the header panel. :facepalm :thwack:

Finding the nuts (and tightening everything down) required removal of the header. :mad:

·
Registered
913 Posts
My rearview on the inside has the rubber, but its not against the glass, vibrates not at all. My wing mirrors vibrate slightly, that is a little irritating, cant think of a simple fix, they are made sorta crappy, I had the pivots apart where the head of the mirror meets the base a couple times when I bought them. I was tempted to JB weld them, but didnt.

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Low cost (low class?) mirror shake solution

Hmmm...I saw the expensive factory rubber plug somewhere and realized that about 1/2" of 1/4" (?) fuel hose did the job.

Note that my mirror cracked too when I didn't have the original plug (didn't realize it - though the shaking was 'normal').

When the mirror sheared off, Sanj told me JB Weld works great and it does :bow:

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,428 Posts
Question for the gurus: If SleekGT had used the Lotus-Favorite vinyl hose instead of fuel hose, would the dash area smell like gasoline?

rotfl rotfl rotfl

J/K:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
You ought to swap the S4 for the S4s, so then you wouldn't be able to see out the back window due to the rear spoiler. Solves the vibrating mirror problem!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You ought to swap the S4 for the S4s, so then you wouldn't be able to see out the back window due to the rear spoiler. Solves the vibrating mirror problem!
Although I don't have an S4s, I do have an S4s wing. Now with the mirror stable, I can see my wing much better now! :D:D:up::facepalm

Wing is for sale btw.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,428 Posts
Although I don't have an S4s, I do have an S4s wing. Now with the mirror stable, I can see my wing much better now! :D:D:up::facepalm.

Why do you think this is a GOOD thing? :scratchhead:

Wing is for sale btw.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts