The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding replacement ball joints for the upper and lower rear wishbones, at least in the US. Elise-Shop in England probably has them, but if I go to a US Lotus parts supplier, they show the parts as #12 in the diagram, but it is not listed. I've tried online searches, Ebay, Rock Auto, whatever else I could think of. Any suggestions?
Or, is there a way to repair or replace just the boot instead? I just have a small crack/leak. The joints are probably fine.
Perhaps self fusing silicone tape wrapped around?
Thanks
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Wood

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Have you checked blackwatchracing.com, Fred sells a lot of suspension parts. Gregsraceparts.com is another good supplier.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
310 Posts
BWR sells a couple options.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Blackwatch Racing or Inokinetic for US based vendors. I'm in the East Coast and part from Eliseparts in the UK tends to come in faster while Blackwatch Racing comes to be in a two days or so.

·
Vendor
3,691 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding replacement ball joints for the upper and lower rear wishbones, at least in the US. Elise-Shop in England probably has them, but if I go to a US Lotus parts supplier, they show the parts as #12 in the diagram, but it is not listed. I've tried online searches, Ebay, Rock Auto, whatever else I could think of. Any suggestions?
Or, is there a way to repair or replace just the boot instead? I just have a small crack/leak. The joints are probably fine.
Perhaps self fusing silicone tape wrapped around?
Thanks
View attachment 1316954

Apparently, we're not paying Google enough! :( Here is the main page. We have regular and pre-load adjustable ball joints. Bars / Bushings / Accessories

Cheers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the excellent replies.
It looks like BWR also has the suspension bolts that I need. Mine sheared off on a turn (hence the ball joint boot damage). They were probably already loose, so if you start hearing rubbing noises, check your spindle bolts. I ordered these over 2 weeks ago from Lotus NJ, and still nothing yet, and very hard to get replies from them also. Everyone is so understaffed these days.

·
Vendor
3,691 Posts
Thanks for all the excellent replies.
It looks like BWR also has the suspension bolts that I need. Mine sheared off on a turn (hence the ball joint boot damage). They were probably already loose, so if you start hearing rubbing noises, check your spindle bolts. I ordered these over 2 weeks ago from Lotus NJ, and still nothing yet, and very hard to get replies from them also. Everyone is so understaffed these days.
You have mail! (checks his watch, 6:56am) :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any tips or suggestions on installing and torquing the rear plinth to hub carrier bolts (where the shim plates are, so some of you might do this often.) The forward one of the two bolts is close to the shock springs, and there is no room to get a socket wrench and hex bit socket, let alone a torque tool. The best I could do was to use a 8mm allen wrench, and finished tightening with a steel tube to extend it. Perhaps this is why the bolts came loose on me before? Not enough torque? And very slow work. I thought perhaps I should cut the socket hex bit shorter to try to fit, but I'm sure it would still be not enough room to get my torque wrenches in there? Other tools better for this?

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Either remove the toe link so you can turn it and then it is easy, or get a long 8mm allen wrench socket.

BTW if those came loose be VERY sure that the threads in the upright are still good. and make sure there isnt much debris on the shims so they sit flat. Then upgrade the bolts to grade 12 and loctite and torque them appropriately. I assume by now you have all the parts you need but email me at [email protected] if you want me to put together a package for you.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I have a 3/8 torque wrench and a shortie 8mm allen that I ground a bit shorter (2-3mm shorter) and this fits on my plinth bolts (I have Penskes for reference). I also paint all my suspension bolts so I can do a visual with a mirror in no time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts