The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rearview mirror is a serious problem for me. I'm 6'2 and it almost completely shuts off my vision in left turns. Stan i have read a few posts that hint at you finding a solution to this. Can you or anyone else help me out? This is by far my most major issue with the car so far.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stan is trying to work something out with the manufacturere of the mirrors, as it's not a direct fit. He said he'd keep us posted.
Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When you really look at it you only need a mirror about 1/2 as high as you use very little to actually look at the back window. With me I look at a lot of interior and head liner and a little rear window. Really a rearview mirror about 1/2 as high would be fine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I ordered the unmodified mirror that Stan installed in his car as well as the lightinsight. I'm expecting to get it early next week and I'll play with it and see what I can come up with. At the same time I'm going to try and find a more permanent position for the V1 and also for my toll transponder. I'm hoping to mount the rear view mirror as high as possible to gain a little visibility to the right.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NtflBlueLiz said:
I ordered the unmodified mirror that Stan installed in his car as well as the lightinsight. I'm expecting to get it early next week and I'll play with it and see what I can come up with. At the same time I'm going to try and find a more permanent position for the V1 and also for my toll transponder. I'm hoping to mount the rear view mirror as high as possible to gain a little visibility to the right.
could you post a link to the one you ordered?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
As someone else mentioned the Audi TT mirror looks to be a good choice as well. I think Stan's is nicer deal though with the polished aluminum and all.

Kinda wide/oval but still much smaller.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
as explained to me by the state police (while getting ticketed - my ghia only had one altogether) you need to have 2 rear veiw mirrors, either two on the sides, or one over the windshield and one on the side...

so if thats true, just take the thing out and drive faster!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
fitfan said:
as explained to me by the state police (while getting ticketed - my ghia only had one altogether) you need to have 2 rear veiw mirrors, either two on the sides, or one over the windshield and one on the side...

so if thats true, just take the thing out and drive faster!
Mmm, that is interesting. However, I dont think in some states you can pass inspection if the mirror was factory installed and you removed it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think you need the mirror because of the blind spots in the car. I use my outside rear view mirrors at wide angles so that I can't see the side of my car at all but can see the lane next to me and the blind spot are by the rear quarter panel, when you have the mirror in this position ( taught to me by a track instructor) your outside mirror can't see behind the car for a good long way so you need the inside rear view mirror to cover that area. I hope the explanation makes sense, but bottom line is I think you need all three for your own safety no matter if you're going to get a ticket or not.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Man I still think I made a mistake sharing what I came up with mirror wise. There's a limited market for this stuff. Next time mum's the word! Since so many are planning to do this on their own (I even get PMs about it with folks asking me how to modify them), there seem to be no sense in me cutting the price way down and custom producing a pile of them for the Elise community. Live and learn! Because of this I am certainly in no hurry to pursue matters further. Hope you guys understand. Looks like they would have wound up at around 40-45 bux too. And with some extra features.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Stan said:
Man I still think I made a mistake sharing what I came up with mirror wise. There's a limited market for this stuff. Next time mum's the word! Since so many are planning to do this on their own (I even get PMs about it with folks asking me how to modify them), there seem to be no sense in me cutting the price way down and custom producing a pile of them for the Elise community. Live and learn! Because of this I am certainly in no hurry to pursue matters further. Hope you guys understand. Looks like they would have wound up at around 40-45 bux too. And with some extra features.
Thats to bad Stan. I think if you could take some pre-orders with a date you think you could have them many would still do it through you. I know I would. However, with no idea of a time line some may become impatient. I hope you will reconsider.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I must have missed something here ... But Stan if you are selling these, I'll take one! Steve

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Thats to bad Stan. I think if you could take some pre-orders with a date you think you could have them many would still do it through you. I know I would. However, with no idea of a time line some may become impatient.<<<

Well, we would have had them already! At a good price, ready to go and with more features and options. Even with the delays in dealing with folks trying to see if this could be done or not.

I'm not really sure what there is to be impatient about, I'm the one who came up with the idea in the first place. If I hadn't shared it then noone would be impatient. I've received many emails, PMs, inquiries, phone calls and so forth about folks already doing this or planning to do this or persuading others to do it that it's not really worth my time any more. So they will remain something for that group of folks to pursue, individually modify on their own, while paying a higher price. Next thing we know someone else will try to set something up with my idea.

Just call 'em "Bootleg Stan Mirrors". Mean time other ideas like that won't be shared, and I'd advise others to do the same. Less agida for the creative among us.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I must have missed something here ... But Stan if you are selling these, I'll take one! Steve<<<

Thanks Steve, but it's now a DIY only project - just do a search and network with those who are doing it on their own. Makes no sense to spend more time and money on it from my perspective. I think I'll vomit if I see a DIY post about it with PICs and instructions though, LOL. But I learned a good lesson, and that is valuable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well maybe you will reconsider. I appreciate your ideas and energy, so I'd support you. If you do it, you have one pre-order here. I've actually been waiting for you, last I read you wanted to be left alone for a while to work on the project.

Steve

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Well maybe you will reconsider. I appreciate your ideas and energy, so I'd support you. If you do it, you have one pre-order here. I've actually been waiting for you, last I read you wanted to be left alone for a while to work on the project. <<<

Nah I decided to bag it. I'll let you know if I change my mind. I worked out the details as they were already under way, but kept on getting inquiries from those who already bought unmodified ones and could not get them to work or needed help getting them installed. So this makes no sense for me to spend much time on. If you want to do it just reach out for the others already doing it.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Stan said:
I've received many emails, PMs, inquiries, phone calls and so forth about folks already doing this or planning to do this or persuading others to do it that it's not really worth my time any more.
There are still plenty of people who have not yet taken delivery of their Elise that would be happy to purchase one. I'm not sure if it's a money issue or a "dealing with people" issue (or something else entirely), but the market is still there.

That said, I can understand the lack of patience with the impatient. ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Stan,

I'm sorry to hear of your disenchantment with the mirror project, I would also have purchased one from you. Please don't do a disservice to this community by keeping tight lipped about your projects, lots of mechanically challenged and car parts connections challanged people out here wouldn't be able to find these things without your help, I for one was looking for a mirror since I pickep up my car and couldn't find one.
Regarding impatient people, never be in the aviation business! I sell aircraft parts for a living and no one ever wants their parts tomorrow, its always for yesterday. Welcome to the instant satisfaction society! Hey i ordered my new mirror 2 hours ago, how come its still not here? :huh:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Hey Stan how amy pre-orders would you need to continue the project? I think you will still get the Lions share. If you change your mind I'll take one. Looks like 3-4 others will commit just from this post. Maybe we can make a list of whos in.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Fred when you have a fun car and want to make some mods and share them, the fun can go away pretty fast because this is not how we make our living and is frankly not as important as so many other things in life. In that thread (which I had Randy delete) there were many complaints about me. Serves me right for sharing! And folks doing research to copy my idea. Things like that are not fun to read about, and most of us then tend to do other things instead. For me this car is a fun toy I am greatly enjoying. So I will do fun things with it. And skip the aggravation. In your business example, we all have such things to deal with in our business or livelihood...that is normal and we simply deal with it. When we are relaxing, most folks would like to keep agida to a minimum and smiles to a maximum.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts