The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After hitting some road debris, I took my 05 elise into a body shop for an estimate. They came back with a very expensive estimate for replacing the front clam, and I ended up deciding to try having a boat shop repair the clam instead.

The body shop already disassembled the front clam, so I picked up the clam and dropped that off at the boat shop, and I had the rest of the car towed back home. Now that I got the car home, I need to check that I have all the parts I need to reassemble the car once the clam repair is finished. Unfortunately, I didn't disassemble the clam, so I'm not sure what all the parts are. Can you guys help take a look at these pics and let me know if I'm missing any parts?

Here is what the front of my car looks like right now:
pic1.JPG

And these are the parts I have:
pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG
pic4.JPG

So the parts I have are:
1. front clam (not pictured, it's still at the shop)
2. bag of nuts/bolts/washers/shims/etc. (not pictured, I still need to sort through these)
3. front access panels
4. radiator grilles
5. radiator shrouds
6. door hinge cover panels with mudflaps
7. headlights
8. turn signals (one is missing a rubber surround)

And it looks to me like I'm currently missing:
1. front grilles (center, left, and right)
2. wheelarch liners (2 pieces on each side)

Do you guys notice any other parts missing? I was trying to figure out where the radiator shrouds attach to, and I wasn't sure if I was still missing another piece there or if they just attach to the front clam. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had mine apart today for the first time today and it's fresh on my mind. Looks like you're right on the only things I see missing, 1. front grilles (center, left, and right)
2. wheelarch liners (2 pieces on each side).

I was debating on dropping mine off at a boat repair place. How bad was your clam damage and did they give you an estimate on repair?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
The front grills are most likely still with the front clam at the boat shop as when the clam is removed they are still attached.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had mine apart today for the first time today and it's fresh on my mind. Looks like you're right on the only things I see missing, 1. front grilles (center, left, and right)
2. wheelarch liners (2 pieces on each side).

I was debating on dropping mine off at a boat repair place. How bad was your clam damage and did they give you an estimate on repair?
My clam damage was not too bad. I wish I took some pics now, but at the time, I was so upset about the damage, I just avoided doing it. Here's list of the front clam damage:

1. front chin scrape - on one side I had a scrape probably 4-5 in across by 1 in front-to-back, and all the way through. second side had some scrapes from before, but very, very minor.
2. license plate plinth - on the underside of the clam, it's shaped like a square behind the license plate plinth, and I had a crack along the side of the square just on the surface, not all the way through
3. center grille mounting area - grille was ripped out, so the bottom mounting holes were ripped through to the back, and there was a crack about 2-3in long. No fiberglass/paint material missing here though.

So there was some work to be done, but it was all well below the gap that runs across the front clam.

The estimate they gave me was much less expensive than the auto body shops I tried (I'll pm you the details), and also they started working on it pretty much right away (I suspect this is not the busy season for boat shops) whereas the auto body shops quoted longer times. We'll still have to see how the results turn out though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front grills are most likely still with the front clam at the boat shop as when the clam is removed they are still attached.
Well actually, I forgot to mention I lost the front grill when I hit the debris, so I need to go find some new ones. The wheelarch liners, though, we should still have somewhere, probably still at the auto body shop. We were kind of in a rush when I picked up the parts since I didn't want to keep the tow truck waiting.

Thanks for all the help guys! I suspect I may need some more help when I start reassembling the car (there are so many bolts in that bag!) :D

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I guess you will need to add the following to your signature line:
Lotus Elise, built like a boat, but drives on rails.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys, I got my clam back and it's all looking very good.

I'm working on putting the clam back on, but I can't figure out what these two wiring harnesses are for. They are in the front passenger wheel well, and they are quite large.

They are not the ones for the headlights or turn signals, so what could they be for? radiator fans?

Here's a pic showing area where it is (it's just above and behind the rotor):
123_0158.JPG

Here's an upclose pic of the harnesses:
123_0159.JPG

Anybody know what they are for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks so much for the quick response.

Where is this relay pack? is it in the wheel well somewhere? Or closer to the fuse box under the access panels? Can I plug it into with the clam installed, or do I need to take the clam off again?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts