The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was treated to quite heartbreak recently. I successfully swapped bwr geared transmission to my 2005 elise with rev 400. What an amazing combo!!! 1st gear hits 60mph in less than 4 sec and by the time you catch your breath to look at the speedo in 3rd gear you are in 100+ mph territory.
My car has been burning oil for last few years so I did a routine check before going to my autocross weekend and - I see glitter on my dipstick...
After taking my oil pan and cam cover I believe I’ll need to replace my engine block, pistons, oil pump and oil coolers :(
I’ll try to document my journey for your enjoyment.
Stay tuned.

·
Super Moderator
753 Posts
By any chance did you get compression readings before tear out? Your situation sounds very similar to what happened to PO of my car. Good luck with your rebuild and we'll all be following. Richard

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
By any chance did you get compression readings before tear out? Your situation sounds very similar to what happened to PO of my car. Good luck with your rebuild and we'll all be following. Richard
He has a close-up of a wiped cam, so that won't change compression during cranking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it’s a toss up. I hate dealing with the driver side axle, then I’ll have to rebleed the clutch also wouldn’t I have to take off at least another 2 motor mounts?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
as far as I remember you have to take off 3 mounts anyways. You don't need to bleed the clutch, but if you do its SUPER easy like 1 minute.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the trick to remove just the motor is to undo the main bolt for the front engine mount, unbolt the passenger engine mount then lower the motor about an inch to remove it. Then you raise the motor about an inch to remove tensioner pulley and idler pulley (last time during assembly I made sure them that the nut is on the pulley side).
Then redo the main bolt for the front engine mount, unbolt the trans bolts and voila!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put the engine with the flywheel on the engine stand then used some wood block to immobilize the flywheel so that I could loosen my crank pulley. Then using the same method I unbolted the flywheel so now engine is ready for the final investigation...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok friends, I would love to get some diagnosis to this:
Rod bearings and crank seem to be in a good shape - some wear but nothing to bad.
pistons however particularly on the exhaust side are pretty worn. I had been running this engine roughly 4k miles. Autocrossing it and doing weekend drives. Water temps never were higher than 100. Oil was changed 6 times. The car was burning oil and exhibiting blowby since I put the new engine in.
The block was nikasil plated
The pistons are aria
JCR head

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts