The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Treasure Coast FL here. So, I read entire forum on "rebuilt title" and need feedback. I'm a first time Lotus buyer and have a budget. Here's the deal:
2005 Lotus Elise/31,000 miles/$24,900 very legit dealer/excellent condition. They have pictures of damage. They're good in rebuilds. Not sure if I can mention business in forums.
Had front and left cam w/ lft wishbone replaced. I have it on hold but I think price should be more 18-19,500 range and maybe even lower. Thoughts?
:DV:

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
If any wishbones have been replaced, there is a very high probability that the tub was damaged! Lotus officially states that the tub is NOT repairable because it is bonded. The tub can be repaired by aircraft mechanics or race car mechanics...ONLY. If you are neither, you are probably not qualified to asses the damaged tub. Probably not a car to buy for a first time Lotus owner...

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
+1 with JJ. And that is beyond the level of most sheet metal guys I work with.
Who is selling it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figures...

Thx for quick feedback! I will search for one with similar miles/price and no "rebuild". Unlikely but possible. :sad:

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Post a link to it.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
It does not show up in their current inventory. Usually they do a stellar job on their rebuilt title Elise cars. The pricing on their rebuilt title Elise has been fairly steady.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If any wishbones have been replaced, there is a very high probability that the tub was damaged!
Possibility, not "very high probability"! Wishbones are designed to fail before the suspension pickup points (part of the tub) are damaged. Without more data the only positive conclusion one can make relative to a damaged wishbone is that it's structural capability was exceeded during an event of some sort.

OP, ask the seller to provide proof that the tub was measured to Lotus specs/procedure as well as the results of this then decide whether to bargain or to walk.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Link?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Treasure Coast FL here. So, I read entire forum on "rebuilt title" and need feedback. I'm a first time Lotus buyer and have a budget. Here's the deal:
2005 Lotus Elise/31,000 miles/$24,900 very legit dealer/excellent condition. They have pictures of damage. They're good in rebuilds. Not sure if I can mention business in forums.
Had front and left cam w/ lft wishbone replaced. I have it on hold but I think price should be more 18-19,500 range and maybe even lower. Thoughts?
:DV:
If your in Florida , I suspect your looking at a car done by Wire Wheel , if so I think you can buy with confidence. My only suspicion it is not a Wire Wheel car is the price. A nicely done car by them with similar miles typically is around $22,900. Pricing on the R titled cars has drifted upwards quite a bit so I could be wrong. Again, Wire Wheel does a rebuild right so you can buy with confidence.

The comments about the wishbone damage indicating frame damage is not correct as the wishbones are designed to fail so as to save the chassis. Doesn't mean the chassis is not damaged, just not an indicator it is. If you look closely at the attachment points you should be able to see the obvious. I know when mine was wrecked, even the slightest twist on the upper wishbone made it impossible to align the wheel. Look at the alignment printout for further evidence.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I was going to say the same, if its anything Hayes does at Wirewheel its top notch.

But im with JJ on the wishbones. Make good and sure the tub was not damaged!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The fronts mount into a chunk of extruded aluminum. This is bonded to the main frame structure. With the car on a rack, with the wheels off, it's very easy to inspect. Any damage would likely be localized around these points and easy to spot.

I'd ask for close up photos of these areas. If they won't provide them, then you have your answer.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Possibility, not "very high probability"!
Since neither you nor I have seen the damaged wishbone, there is absolutely no way you can make any probability predictions as to the tub's damage. And as for a point of reference, elongated suspension bolt holes is, by definition, damaged structure that would need to be repaired.

So, just looking at it would not reveal whether the tub was damaged or not.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Since neither you nor I have seen the damaged wishbone, there is absolutely no way you can make any probability predictions as to the tub's damage. And as for a point of reference, elongated suspension bolt holes is, by definition, damaged structure that would need to be repaired.

So, just looking at it would not reveal whether the tub was damaged or not.
A. You made the probability prediction, not I.

B. Elongated suspension bolt holes.-- yes, but you seemingly pulled that out of the air. The OP did not mention that.

C. I said nothing about looking at it, quite the contrary. I suggested data from measuring to Lotus specs. Nevertheless, looking sometimes is good enough to conclude damage, your bolt hole example, torn pickups, bowed main rails, etc. However, everyone who has posted agrees that looking at it is not sufficient to make a determination of no chassis damage.

To the OP, it is possible to have damage to the chassis (cosmetic) that has not harmed the chassis functionally. My car is an example of this. It has a very visible ding in the upper crossmember of the subframe; however, a Lotus rep visited the dealership and confirmed measurements that showed no effect on critical functional dimensions so the subframe was not replaced. The car, while having a salvage title (because of clam damage, one wishbone, one wheel and aforementioned subframe ding) was repaired and retained it's full warranty. Also, I agree with the good comments about Wirewheel. I try never to pass Vero Beach without stopping in to drool over Hayes' inventory of S1 Exiges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To All, This forum rules and you have been extremely helpful even with some of the disagreements. Yes, I'm going to ask specifics about this potential damage but like I said this dealership/shop is very reliable and has an excellent record. I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
****Hypothetically speaking once bought I will post pictures w/ babes in bikinis surrounding her. If anything develops related to the previously mentioned "potentials"
(the tub or repaired parts) I will raise hell on this forum for a very long time until the Queen of England herself gives me a call. There will be no pictures of her in a bikini!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts