The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I'm looking for a project, I realize that most of the less expensive Elise models are offered with a rebuilt or salvage title. I've done the usual research for what it takes to title a vehicle with either of these titles and have found that a salvage title isn't one that I can work with. The salvage title in Georgia requires a rebuild by a 'Licensed Rebuilder' (which I am not).

Does anyone have firsthand (current) experience with titling a rebuilt vehicle in Georgia? I've read most of the posts that tell stories of the hassle of getting the vehicle inspected, inspectors not liking vehicles from FL. etc. but these seem to be older and maybe out if date cases.

So I'm just curious of what the current environment is for inspections and if the steps shown on the DOR.GEORGIA.GOV website are accurate.

Any help, information or words of advice are truly appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have successfully titled an out of state rebuilt titled car in Georgia. All I did was take the car to a State Certified inspection shop. The one I went to was in Gainsville and I paid the inspection fee. You can also schedule a state inspector to come to your house to inspect. I believe it is cheaper, but I didn’t want to wait.

The inspection was super easy. They had me drive the car onto a platform lift, shined a flashlight around. They had me pop the hood and they shined the light around some more. They checked all of the exterior lights and then they passed me and gave me paperwork for the state.

I would recommend getting to the inspection place an hour before they open because the line forms quickly and they move slowly.

Then I mailed everything to the State Salvage title address, but maybe you could go in person? It is down by the airport.
I called them a week or two later and they said that everything looked good and they had sent approval to my local tag office.
I went there and paid the TAVT and they gave me my Tag and the Georgia Rebuilt title.

Overall it was just a hassle, but not hard.

I do not believe anything deviated from the steps I read on the .gov website.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have successfully titled an out of state rebuilt titled car in Georgia. All I did was take the car to a State Certified inspection shop. The one I went to was in Gainsville and I paid the inspection fee. You can also schedule a state inspector to come to your house to inspect. I believe it is cheaper, but I didn’t want to wait.

The inspection was super easy. They had me drive the car onto a platform lift, shined a flashlight around. They had me pop the hood and they shined the light around some more. They checked all of the exterior lights and then they passed me and gave me paperwork for the state.

I would recommend getting to the inspection place an hour before they open because the line forms quickly and they move slowly.

Then I mailed everything to the State Salvage title address, but maybe you could go in person? It is down by the airport.
I called them a week or two later and they said that everything looked good and they had sent approval to my local tag office.
I went there and paid the TAVT and they gave me my Tag and the Georgia Rebuilt title.

Overall it was just a hassle, but not hard.

I do not believe anything deviated from the steps I read on the .gov website.
@jv982 That's awesome. Thanks for all the information. I used to live off of Flat Creek Rd. before I moved to Suwanee. After reading most of the other posts, I skeptical about even looking at a car with the 'Rebuilt' branding.

As a follow up question. It sounds like you could just drive the vehicle up to the inspection station. I also was under the impression that you were required to have it brought (not driven) to be inspected. Is that not the real case?

Thanks again for all the clarification.

Chuck

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are technically not supposed to be driving an out of state rebuilt car until it has been inspected by a state-licensed inspector. It should be trailered to the shop.

With that said, the shop does not seem to pay attention to how the car arrives at the shop.

I would not hesitate to purchase another rebuilt car, if that says anything about the titling process.

I have not however restored a salvage title car. My understanding is that is more involved, but still I wouldn’t avoid it. It would just be more of a hassle.

I am happy to help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are technically not supposed to be driving an out of state rebuilt car until it has been inspected by a state-licensed inspector. It should be trailered to the shop.

With that said, the shop does not seem to pay attention to how the car arrives at the shop.

I would not hesitate to purchase another rebuilt car, if that says anything about the titling process.

I have not however restored a salvage title car. My understanding is that is more involved, but still I wouldn’t avoid it. It would just be more of a hassle.

I am happy to help!
Much appreciated. This will make shopping for an Elise a whole lot easier.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts