41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
bump

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Does anybody have a definitive answer on changing the lines without clamshel removal? One thread says it is easier on an exige, another says it is worse on an exige. Is it only the front crossline that requires removal? Has there been any instances of the front line failing reported?

I think I have read most of the related threads. It would be nice just to change out the damn things and be done with it. Of course I hate to do that if lotus decides they will do it on their dime.

AES

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I think you could. You need to remove the bottom trays n the front wheel liners.

I'm stuck though, I think you would need to remove that panel the turn signals on. Not sure if you really need to remove it or if u need to remove the clam before removing it.

Haven't found another way to feed them through the car though. Front one will be easy. I think all the fittings need replaced, something like a chain breaks at it's weakest link.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think you could. You need to remove the bottom trays n the front wheel liners.

I'm stuck though, I think you would need to remove that panel the turn signals on. Not sure if you really need to remove it or if u need to remove the clam before removing it.

Haven't found another way to feed them through the car though. Front one will be easy. I think all the fittings need replaced, something like a chain breaks at it's weakest link.
If I were to change the lines, I would join the new and old lines end to end without the fittings. Then I would try pulling the old lines from the other end and stop once the new lines are out on the other side. Of course this is assuming that the old lines are not strapped in somewhere inside.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
If I were to change the lines, I would join the new and old lines end to end without the fittings. Then I would try pulling the old lines from the other end and stop once the new lines are out on the other side. Of course this is assuming that the old lines are not strapped in somewhere inside.

I saw a post in our forum where one person fished the lines through the door sills with something he made... don't remember much more except he was getting it done w/out clam removal. I remember he had to drill a hole that gets covered by the sill protector, maybe hole was to release a tie down - not sure. I think it was a pain in the asss.I'm going on a 3000 mile trip in April....normally not a religous man, but i'll be prayin'.

·
Premium Member
11,682 Posts
1. Ron Mann of Lotus USA says he anticipates "some sort of letter out within the next week or so".

2. Hoping to not beat a dead horse, but I don't think the lines are the issue, i.e. only the fittings and the occasional oil cooler. (not that I read this whole tread today....)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Subscribed - I have an '05 Elise.

How do we know if we are on Louts' list?
I would assume you are not, and email them your VIN to get on the list.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an early production 2007 Exige S and I just got the recall notification letter in the mail today...it says to expect another letter in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"The process of crimping was changed late 2006"

I thought there were cases where cars build after 2006 had the oil line failure. Can we somehow document all these cases?
Mine was built late 2006 and sold in 2007. Oil line blew off at filter. Sent Lotus an email May 4th 2011 never got a reply. Dealer said Lotus was aware of problem but if it was not under warrenty they did not care. The dealer sait thay were just going to cut the hose and put in a splice and two new connectors. I am a mechanic so I said to hell with that! I cut off the swedge fitting and used two constant pressure clamps to reattach hose.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I called last week and spoke to Ron Mann. He refused to give any sort of time frame for the release of more information. I respect him for not promising information that he is not confident that he can deliver, but that being said, I'm a bit annoyed a proactive "fix" is not further along....

41 - 60 of 79 Posts