The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
11,220 Posts
Same here.
It make my day.
Now let’s have the pricing list next week please !!! View attachment 1296238
Well you guys are closer to more Emira info. It does say FALL so sometime between 9/22 and 12/21 you will know more and be able to configure your cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, I feel sorry for several of you guys who might not make it into first year/FE production.

I have a #5 spot at the top ranked dealer, and my Reference # from Lotus is 060005 (which is the 605th spot for Worldwide production). I spoke to the dealer today and they confirmed with Lotus NA that the reference # DOES in fact confirm your actual place in line as far as manufacturing.

If you multiply the first 2 digits of the Reference # by 100, and then add the last 3 Reference numbers, you'll get your actual place as far as world-wide production. Ie, a 328105 would be #3305 out of the 4500 planned first-year Worldwide production. (32 times 100 = 3200, plus the 105 = 3305.

The middle digit (in this example, an 8) tracks initial spec preference as far as V6 vs I4 etc if you gave one, you can skip that for now.

Also, most importantly, there's not a single thing I said in this post up to this point that's true.

It's so hard fighting the urge not to add a smiley etc now, but then someone might spot the yellow emoji out of the corner of their eye while reading, and realize ahead of time it's a (bad? truly, utterly bad?) joke.
You know people were going back to their email to do the “math” before finishing reading 🤣. Good work.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,500 Posts
Also, most importantly, there's not a single thing I said in this post up to this point that's true.
It's so hard fighting the urge not to add a smiley etc now, but then someone might spot the yellow emoji out of the corner of their eye while reading, and realize ahead of time it's a (bad? truly, utterly bad?) joke.
You TOTALLY got me. Woke up, went to my computer, turned it on and did the calculations without reading to the end and was totally bummed out. No coffee, eyes barely open until I saw the final ranking. THEN I saw your last sentences and I can go about the day, after some coffee, with a smile again!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The real question is whether Lotus dealers will figure out a way to move your build spot up or down based solely on their greed... like they always have done.

This should be fun to watch.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
The real question is whether Lotus dealers will figure out a way to move your build spot up or down based solely on their greed... like they always have done.

This should be fun to watch.
The way some did it with the Elise launch was if someone ahead of you in line dropped out, they wouldn’t move everybody up a slot, the dealership would claim that spot as theirs and sell it as they saw fit, usually at a markup. The ‘better’ ones would go down the line to see if anyone was willing to pay to move up. Some would simply sell to anyone, in line or not, willing to pay.

A number of people are in line for the Emira, dreaming the car will be $65k to $70k, and will drop out when reality hits. Some dealers will sell THOSE slots with a markup.

I knew a few guys who were never in line for the Elise, but jumped the line and got cars ahead of people with deposits because they were willing to pay the markup.

Reactions: Exira and ace10

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The way some did it with the Elise launch was if someone ahead of you in line dropped out, they wouldn’t move everybody up a slot, the dealership would claim that spot as theirs and sell it as they saw fit, usually at a markup. The ‘better’ ones would go down the line to see if anyone was willing to pay to move up. Some would simply sell to anyone, in line or not, willing to pay.

A number of people are in line for the Emira, dreaming the car will be $65k to $70k, and will drop out when reality hits. Some dealers will sell THOSE slots with a markup.

I knew a few guys who were never in line for the Elise, but jumped the line and got cars ahead of people with deposits because they were willing to pay the markup.

Which is the beauty of non-sequential "reference number" scheme... the buyers don't have a clue where they stand in line. And will be at the mercy of the dealer up to the moment they sign the paperwork and receive the CoO.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I was going to pull the trigger but wanted to wait for some reviewers to get their hands on the car. Back in the day I was allocated the first new Vantage Aston Martin in the launch edition colors and once the reviews were coming out that the Porsche 911 crushed it in every performance category I cancelled my order and bought a 911 instead. This car had better beat the Evora performance wise in some way because I already have a cell phone with a screen on it lol. For now as a driver I prefer the analog Lotus experience as Collin wanted it. I also hope it lives up to the expectations because its a big thing for Lotus to succeed.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I was going to pull the trigger but wanted to wait for some reviewers to get their hands on the car. Back in the day I was allocated the first new Vantage Aston Martin in the launch edition colors and once the reviews were coming out that the Porsche 911 crushed it in every performance category I cancelled my order and bought a 911 instead. This car had better beat the Evora performance wise in some way because I already have a cell phone with a screen on it lol. For now as a driver I prefer the analog Lotus experience as Collin wanted it. I also hope it lives up to the expectations because its a big thing for Lotus to succeed.
I'm with you. Holding off for a second year car.

1) want to see, touch, feel, smell, and possibly drive the EMIRA beforehand.
2) want to see finial pricing
3) hoping for possibility of more paint options selections that may be available after Launch
and/or want to see current paint selections in the flesh
4) would like to see some reviews and possibly comparo's
5) Prefer to avoid first year early production issues, that I personally experienced myself in
past with other brands I bought that were launch cars.
6) want the economy to crash first so dealers are begging me to take a car off the lot at huge
discount, or new buyers beg me to buy theirs used at fire sale prices since they need the
money for food and rent instead.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hopefully this means 2 shifts are planned.
Well Matt Windle did say "If we have to go to a second shift, then we have to" so that sounds like he's prepared to do that if it becomes necessary. They'll probably wait until they have actual orders though to determine that. I expect they'll match up orders to the list of people they've confirmed have placed deposits, to make sure there's no inventory-stocking monkey business from a dealer trying to get more cars through fake deposits/orders.

Because they probably already have more deposits than the planned first year production, they may want to open orders sooner rather than later, so if they do have to put on a second shift, they can get that ball rolling in time to make it work. It takes time to not only hire and train the people necessary, but determine how many extra parts and assemblies they're going to need to order. They're going to need a decent lead time for all of that so that it's ready when production begins.

There's a lot riding on all of this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, I feel sorry for several of you guys who might not make it into first year/FE production.

I have a #5 spot at the top ranked dealer, and my Reference # from Lotus is 060005 (which is the 605th spot for Worldwide production). I spoke to the dealer today and they confirmed with Lotus NA that the reference # DOES in fact confirm your actual place in line as far as manufacturing.

If you multiply the first 2 digits of the Reference # by 100, and then add the last 3 Reference numbers, you'll get your actual place as far as world-wide production. Ie, a 328105 would be #3305 out of the 4500 planned first-year Worldwide production. (32 times 100 = 3200, plus the 105 = 3305.

The middle digit (in this example, an 8) tracks initial spec preference as far as V6 vs I4 etc if you gave one, you can skip that for now.

Great post! Glad I read it all the way to the end as I was tempted to get out a pencil and paper after the third paragraph and fire up my math skills.

·
Registered
Emira on order
52 Posts
I'm no. 13 at Lotus of North Jersey... ordered July 9th. I am hoping to be in the first wave of First Editions, but no email. I realized that they had a typo in my email address when they sent my initial info in to Lotus... they're updating now, so maybe I'll get future correspondences... we'll see!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.