The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, before I start spending more cash I don't have maybe I should ask this fantastic forum a question regarding the A/C Receiver Drier. I'm about to remove the front clam for the my first time. My Heater / Air Conditioner Fan Speed Switch has stopped working. When I turn on the fan (any speed) I can hear the A/C Clutch kick in but there is no blower motor operation. I'm guessing from reading it's a bad Resistor Pack on my 06 Elise. I have ordered and received a new Resistor Pack update kit that relocates the resistors and I also received the resistors by themselves so I can rebuild the old Resistor Pack to save as a spare. At the same time I have the clam off, I'm removing the original radiator and replacing it with an all Aluminum unit from Wizard along with new hoses from GRP. Additionally, I'll install a new horn, driving lights, and having the front clam repaired and repainted where some idiot (me) backed his pickup truck with a big hitch into the nose of the Elise.

The question is, since I'll have to evacuate the A/C system to replace the Resistor Pack and the A/C system will be open from anywhere from a few hours to a few days do I need to replace the Receiver Drier? Now if this was my Barracuda or my Toyota, I wouldn't give it a thought and I would just install a new Receiver Dryer. Prices seem to be in the $100 area give or take $20. Is the Receiver Drier accessible without removing the clam if I don't replace it? Should I replace the Receiver Drier?

Thank you all, Frank

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,272 Posts
Definitely try to seal it off after you open it. But its always recommended to replace the drier, especially due to it being hard to service, and its a cheap part. I used the following:

From Napa about $4
407199 small O-Ring to Drier connection
407012 larger O-Ring to passenger side door sill

Bought Drier from
Parker Drier replacement
1-888-438-9534
New part ordered #37-13412 (Parker F5TZ-19C836-AB)
Original part (Parker 085333-00)
Talk to Rex & tell him Bob priced it @ $21 for the Lotus forum folks

this was info from a few yrs back, but I got the same dryer as original for cheap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am about to go through the same exercise. Please share any tips that you deem helpful to the uninitiated. I'll do the same. My project is about 3 or 4 weeks out though.
Good luck!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought my drier from Napa, was $15. Don't remember the part number but I found it on a thread here.

The drier has the eye-glass which is used when filling your AC system. Definitely recommended to replace.

Had my system open for probably a week. Put a vacuum on it from autozone (free to rent just buy the oil ~$5) and the gauges (again free). Leave it with a vacuum overnight and check if you have any leaks before you start filling. Easy to access the two ports from passenger side intake grill.

O-rings I actually had to order. Didn't see the right sizes at any autoparts stores and they didn't seem as thick either as the ones I took off.

My fittings to the condenser were seized (seems like two different metal fittings). Ended up needing a new condenser. Just a FYI, i tried the puller fans and kept the AC. Now when the car is warmed up and I'm sitting at a light with my AC on, it will blow hot air until I start moving again and get air through the condenser. If I was still in FL, I'd be taking the clam back off and putting the pusher fans back on.

And I think I used 2.5 cans of refrigerant to fill.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I bought my drier from Napa, was $15. Don't remember the part number but I found it on a thread here.

The drier has the eye-glass which is used when filling your AC system. Definitely recommended to replace.

Had my system open for probably a week. Put a vacuum on it from autozone (free to rent just buy the oil ~$5) and the gauges (again free). Leave it with a vacuum overnight and check if you have any leaks before you start filling. Easy to access the two ports from passenger side intake grill.

O-rings I actually had to order. Didn't see the right sizes at any autoparts stores and they didn't seem as thick either as the ones I took off.

My fittings to the condenser were seized (seems like two different metal fittings). Ended up needing a new condenser. Just a FYI, i tried the puller fans and kept the AC. Now when the car is warmed up and I'm sitting at a light with my AC on, it will blow hot air until I start moving again and get air through the condenser. If I was still in FL, I'd be taking the clam back off and putting the pusher fans back on.

And I think I used 2.5 cans of refrigerant to fill.
Try boosting the idle up to ~2500 rpm while sitting, see if it changes anything. I think the compressor is a POS and does little at idle

the orings are not usual OEM stuff, but normal for aftermarket units like vintage air. Auto parts stores are just not set up to sell you 'x' size oring
from my old post:
The [mostly] definitive answer

I like vintage air, they make nice stuff and they do not overcharge on replacement parts

#6 oring pack of 10 p/n 331016 price list says a buck
# 8" " 331008 same
#10" " 331010 same

I bought them summit
Vintage Air Rubber O-Rings for A/C Fittings - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

use the part number I listed for 10 packs

VIntage does not use #12, so I had to break down and drive to the dealer, who does not charge much for the orings, but the drive is a pain, plus it is good to have a bunch extra for dropping, refitting yada yada

These guys will sell you a lifetime supply:

https://coldhose.com/specialty-fittings/orings.html

I have not bought from them tho

I bought the NAPA part numbers listed, and they are NOT the correct orings, the #12 in particular failed to seal.

Summit is faster shipping than Vintage themselves....

·
Registered
716 Posts
@exigegus I got the AC Drier & Oil today from NAPA

IMG_1327.jpg

The Drier came with (2) O-Rings but I'm not yet sure if correct size?

How do the part #'s you've listed correlate to the required sizes? I see inside diameters listed in the SN's...

I really don't want to drive 3hrs each way to nearest dealer to get these parts... Anyone able to source all online?

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Only the very large one is hard to get
the orings that came with the drier should be the correct size for the drier

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ordered the o-rings from a Lotus dealer in Michigan (Auto Europe). They shipped them to me. Don was super helpful.
I used the Napa drier and oil.

I found a thread here with AC improvements (SirLotus?) and the AC works well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Picked up vacuum & gauges today on loan from AutoZone. Surprised the loan time is 90 days! I hope I don't need it that long!!! I've got my trunk monkey evacuating it tonight while I'm away ;-) Will attempt removal of blower when able to get more garage time...

ac gauges.jpg

·
Registered
716 Posts
Had limited garage time but was able to remove the drier and some of the associated coolant hoses & AC lines. I started soaking all AC line fittings with Aero Kroil everyday for the past three days. Even so, I'm 99% sure I will end up compromising the integrity of the condenser fittings attempting to remove those... The drier lines came off easy. Condenser lines not so much! I ordered a new Pro-Alloy Condenser from Inokinetic. @shinoo Service was great as always! Andy returned my call for help in short order and the part is on its way to the East coast.

Project Creep is REAL!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yup!

Burnt Resistor Connection.jpg

Repairs completed, next garage time is put it all back together...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Only had enough time today to re-install and test. I have all three fan speeds again!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts