The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever I push the recirculation button my AC comes on. AC button is not illuminated but cold air is coming out of the events.
Anyone else have this happen?:huh:

also yesterday driving down the highway all my guages went blank. No speddo, no tach, no nothing, not even my signals worked. After about a minute everything just popped back on.TADTS

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Do you have an OBD-scanner connected? Had this once when the dash went blank for a moment. Disconnected the OBD and all was well.

Your problem may also be in the wiring around there.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Is your AC button working?

My AC button no longer turns on the AC. The recirc button does turn on the AC. Went to my local shop where they checked out the AC and found no mechanical problems. It appears that the AC module is no longer sending a signal to the ECU. According to the service manual, this can happen due to a bunch of things (max throttle, high coolant temp, low refrigerant level, all ruled out) or to a fault code (or codes) in the system. Unfortunately, my local shop doesn't have the Lotus-specific software needed to sort out the code issue, meaning an all-day trip to the dealer when I get around to it. In the meantime, I'm very glad that the recirc button is turning on my AC.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have an OBD-scanner connected? Had this once when the dash went blank for a moment. Disconnected the OBD and all was well.

Your problem may also be in the wiring around there.
No OBD scanner.
I think I agree with Plack with the ECU overheating. First day over 90 here in the midwest. also the first time my Temp guage moved past midway on the scale.
Hope I don't get Squids overheating problem:wallbang:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your AC button working?

My AC button no longer turns on the AC. The recirc button does turn on the AC. Went to my local shop where they checked out the AC and found no mechanical problems. It appears that the AC module is no longer sending a signal to the ECU. According to the service manual, this can happen due to a bunch of things (max throttle, high coolant temp, low refrigerant level, all ruled out) or to a fault code (or codes) in the system. Unfortunately, my local shop doesn't have the Lotus-specific software needed to sort out the code issue, meaning an all-day trip to the dealer when I get around to it. In the meantime, I'm very glad that the recirc button is turning on my AC.
AC button will light up, but not sure if it actually works. Car goes in to dealer on June 8th for couple weeks while I'm on vacation. Will let them sort it out. I have a list of minor things that are being worked on, whats one more.

Still would not give up my Lotus for anything less than a McLaren:bow:

·
Registered
595 Posts
No OBD scanner.
I think I agree with Plack with the ECU overheating. First day over 90 here in the midwest. also the first time my Temp guage moved past midway on the scale.
Hope I don't get Squids overheating problem:wallbang:
Squid's "overheating problem" was apparently due to a loose hose in the engine compartment... not exactly a Lotus issue. And it had nothing at all to do with interior electrics, so I don't think you have to worry that there's some kind of design flaw at work here.

The two control units, main and engine, are both in the interior of the car, so they're not likely to be overheating.

I, along with a lot of other folks, drive my Evora in miserably hot temperatures as a matter of course. One day over 90 degrees is not going to kill your car, trust me.

You are not going to be able to fix your car by asking for diagnoses from strangers on the internet. Especially not on this board! :D

But if it's free advice you want, here's mine. This sounds like a case of a bad ground. A connection gets loose or corroded, and soon circuits are disrupted as current looks for the next easiest path. Having a button suddenly activate a different function is a classic example. Ever driven behind someone whose taillights do weird things when their turn signal blinks? Same thing.

This is something that you need to have fixed. At best it will continue intermittently until it suddenly fails permanently. At worst, the shorts and bad circuit paths will cause damage to components that contain ICs-- your instrument panel or main computer.

Your dealer might hate it, because nothing's more annoying to work on than an intermittent electrical problem, but if they get in there and clean and tighten the relevant connections you'll be fine.

HTH

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
+1 -- just returned from an enjoyable ~200 mile drive including some serious twisties in Napa CA wine country.
The last 2 hours were at 90+ ambient with full A/C and some traffic delays -- there were no problems whatever. (Also recorded a little over 20 MPG, which is pretty respectable for that kind of driving, IMO.) ;)

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
Start by pulling center console. Easy just be careful of retainers that like to fall into the abyss:wallbang:. Check the connections to these buttons. Could be that easy! 5 minutes

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Lucky you! :clap:

Today my engine conked out in the middle of traffic while cruising along the freeway at a steady 65mph. It was warm out (85 degrees), and water coolant temp was at its usual half way point. Anyway traffic slowed a slow and instinctively I went into neutral (from 4th) and allowed the car to coast as I lightly applied the brakes. I meant to shift into 3rd to resume my driving, looked down at my gauge and saw that the engine was off.. I said "wtf?" and I immediately started her back up (while moving) and resumed driving without further issue.

No CEL or anything. The car ran fine for the rest of the day, although I am still disappointed the bay blower never comes on when the temps rise. I'll have to check next time if my radiator fan is on at least. If it isn't then perhaps my coolant temp sensor is to blame for all of this.

Anyway sorry for the threadjack....

The topic is about the AC controls and mine has not failed. I only notice that if I hit the front windshield blower button it turns on the AC at full blast.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it normal for the temp guage to go past the halfway mark. Notice mine has been doning this more often. for the first 1K mikes I never notice it going past halfway, but now seems to be doing it more.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Is it normal for the temp guage to go past the halfway mark. Notice mine has been doning this more often. for the first 1K mikes I never notice it going past halfway, but now seems to be doing it more.
While idling, yes. At speed, no.

If it goes above 2/3rd the way up, expect the RH air duct fan to kick in.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Data from todays Autobahn run Air-temp: 25°C (77°F): Temperature guage rock solid at 50% at 290kph (180 mph). There is a considerable heat soak once you decrease your speed 2/3 quage level ist quite reasonable then.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Data from todays Autobahn run Air-temp: 25°C (77°F): Temperature guage rock solid at 50% at 290kph (180 mph). There is a considerable heat soak once you decrease your speed 2/3 quage level ist quite reasonable then.
I can't imagine ever going that fast.. my hands were sweating hitting 145 in my Audi ...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Your Evora goes 180 mph?:huh: I think I got ripped off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lucky you! :clap:

Today my engine conked out in the middle of traffic while cruising along the freeway at a steady 65mph. It was warm out (85 degrees), and water coolant temp was at its usual half way point. Anyway traffic slowed a slow and instinctively I went into neutral (from 4th) and allowed the car to coast as I lightly applied the brakes. I meant to shift into 3rd to resume my driving, looked down at my gauge and saw that the engine was off.. I said "wtf?" and I immediately started her back up (while moving) and resumed driving without further issue.

No CEL or anything. The car ran fine for the rest of the day, although I am still disappointed the bay blower never comes on when the temps rise. I'll have to check next time if my radiator fan is on at least. If it isn't then perhaps my coolant temp sensor is to blame for all of this.

Anyway sorry for the threadjack....

The topic is about the AC controls and mine has not failed. I only notice that if I hit the front windshield blower button it turns on the AC at full blast.
Squidward If your car was a horse they would have shot it. Freaking EnglishTADTS What is the manufacture month/year of your car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts